Braided Line

• bucketmouth1
    Lancaster, WI

For all you bass heads out there, what’s the most impressive braided line you’ve fished? I’ve fished a variety of them and still think power pro may be the best one I’ve used. I like sunlines FX2 but I’ve had quite a few break-offs on the 60 lb while froggin. Just seein what you guys like best

kwp
    Eden Prairie

I’m not rally a Bass head but I do like to fish for them. A few comments regarding braid lines in my opinion…

1. For scum frogs I like spider wire; cuts through the lilly pads so well.

2. For flipping I like suffix 832.

3. On my bass spinning rods (drop shots and tubes) I like nanofil with a flour. leader (tied with an alberto knot).

For my regular bait casting rod I like 15 lb fluor.

BBKK
    IA

Power pro! 30# for all around (t-rigs, carlolina rigs, spinnerbaits, lipless in weeds, etc), 50# for flippin, and 65# for frogs.

jason26
    Cedar Falls, IA

i like power pro.

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

I think power pro is the best of the braids that I have used, 832 suffix was as strong as PP but I had a lot of wind knots,I’ve been using the lighter suffix on spinning reels with floro leader with good results.I don’t think I have ever broke 50# or 65# rat fishing or 65# plunkn ,I use the heavier line plunkn because it’s easier on your hands.

Stan

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

Always wondered why bass fisherman need 50+ pound braid? Is it so they can water ski after being hooked? I never had a problem with bass breaking 10 pound braid. My favorite braid is power pro and 832 if that’s considered a braid. Nanofil is junk.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

I never understood all the love for power pro. I’ve tried it and tried it again in a pinch when I need some line and that crap constantly breaks on me. Granted, in the manner of which I am using it is nothing shy of shear abuse, but I never have the same problem with regular Suffix. Tuff line XP is some pretty decent line as well. Nanofil isn’t braid, but I like it on spinning gear.

“Always wondered why bass fisherman need 50+ pound braid? Is it so they can water ski after being hooked?”

eye crossing hooksets on fish in the pads with a super stout rod requires heavy line. I’ve dropped down to 40 on occasion, but 50 is about right. Anything more is overkill IMO

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

Another vote for PowerPro. I generally use 20-23# on spinning gear and 50# for Frogs and Jigs on casting gear. One reason I like the 50# on casting gear is that it cuts into itself less then the 20-30# line. On reason I use 20-30# on spinning gear is that when running a 6-8# leader I generally get a cleaner knot when using lines of similar diameter.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I use Power Pro SLick in 30lb on bait casting for worms Carolina rigs light flipping I use flouro leaders depending on water clarity. Heavy flipping frogging 65lb PP slick.
    spinning Power Pro slick 15 lb with leader depending on clarity, and for drop shotting Nanofil 12lb with 8 ft flouro leader. I have have not had a break off in a full season using the nanofil with a flouro leader attached with modified albright/alberto knot you do have to use about 11 wraps to get it to hold. The leader always breaks at weight or hook. I have been using Power Pro for many years and other than occasional wind knot have not experienced any breakage problems with it.

Mwal

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’ve been plugging around to find out what happened with the Cajun Braid when Shakespeare sold cajun line to zebco. By far the best braid in heavier sizes that I have used. It’s been MIA for the last few years…..

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Always wondered why bass fisherman need 50+ pound braid? Is it so they can water ski after being hooked? I never had a problem with bass breaking 10 pound braid. My favorite braid is power pro and 832 if that’s considered a braid. Nanofil is junk.

Because when you hook a 3#+ fish in a thick pad field or the middle of a coontail mat, there is no way in heck its coming out with 10# braid. She will bury in that crap or wrap around a pad and you’ll never see her again unless you manage to work your boat in there before she pulls the hook. With thick braid (more about the diameter than the # test) it will actually saw though the pad stems and weeds.

Not to mention if you were fishing a 3/4oz weight and a beaver up around the laydowns with 10# braid you would have many shock breaks when setting the hook.

If you don’t fish in the thick slop, or just fish the outer edges, you won’t understand. But if you are one to go get them, you know what you need to do to get to the big fish.

There is a reason the pro’s use what they do… and its not to horse the fish to the boat as fast as possible. You won’t catch a pro fishing with 10# braid unless its on a spinning rod for dropshot, shakey head, or flick-shake rigs. Just like you won’t see a walleye pro using a 5′ ugly stick and 4# shakespeare mono.

FryDog62

I’ve used PP, Fireline and 832….all good IMO. I have switched all my reels over to 832 over the past couple years though. Smoother, less screech on the guides…

I agree with Nanofil, I tried it but too many break offs and the knots slip. I used the recommended double Palomar and still didn’t find it very strong. KWP mentioned he tied a leader to it…wow, you must tie better knots than I do with how slippery Nanofil is. The stuff does cast a country mile though!

zeke6710
    NULL

I too am a fan of Power Pro 30lb.I do prefer Spiderwire for Scum Frogs though because it seems to rip through the pads better.If I had choose only one, it would easily be Power Pro.

senko77

I’m a spiderwire all around kinda guy! And floro for everything else

BBKK
    IA

I love my power pro, but I got a smoking deal on some braid a couple weeks back. Got some 832 in 30# and some spiderwire stealth in 65. Going to give these an honest try this year and see what I like.

Trying the 832 on a walleye rod now, and so far I’m in love. Hands down better than the PP I’ve been using.

Power pro may be a thing of the past for me.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Try flipping a 1 ounce weight with 10 pound braid in the slop and you’ll answer your own question. Or throwing a frog.

Quote:

SeanMcD
    NULL

Power Pro spectra is my all-around favorite

zeke6710
    NULL

I go along with most everyone else here. I use PP for everything except frogs where I may use Spiderwire. SW is also good for swimjigs and the only reason I do not use PP for that is I do not use a flouro leader on swimjigs.All my PP is yellow which is is easiest for these old eyes to watch.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.