Cranking reel

• matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

Im looking at getting a baitcasting reel for Crank baits.. looking to keep it under $120. Any suggestions? Right now I am looking at getting a Quantum Kinetic PT in a 6.3:1 gear ratio.

Thanks in advance

Bassn Dan

Gander’s ad this week has Shimano Citicas for $79.99 originally $119.99. Great reel for that low price.

Dan

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quantums have never failed me and I have 6 in the rod rack with a couple Curados and two US Reel Hibdons that cast a mile… The new Lews are REALLY IMPRESSIVE and cast like a dream!
    Decisions, decisions…

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

Quote:

Quantums have never failed me and I have 6 in the rod rack with a couple Curados and two US Reel Hibdons that cast a mile… The new Lews are REALLY IMPRESSIVE and cast like a dream!
    Decisions, decisions…

Im torn between Quantum and Lews. I hate decisions. I may just go with one of each!!

jac714

I have been very happy with my Diawa Exceller reels, they make a 4.9:1 reel that is great for crankbaits and is reasonably priced around $80.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Unless you are using very big lipped deep cranks I would stick to the 6.4:1 ratio so you can use it for other (rods) techniques…I played around with the newest one…$79.99

Amazingly smooth and free…

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I really like my Revo STX`s 6.4-1. Check BBC many baitcasters for sale and some good deals. Some of the bass guys change reels like some people change underwear. Picked up my Revo`s for $80 a piece shipped can`t tell them from new.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

I ended up getting a Quantum KVD series reel from Bass Pro. I got it for 100.. It was basically the same as the Lew’s reel for the same price. I like Quantum because I know they last for ever. Im looking to get a little heavier rod for cranking too so I’ll probably end up getting a Lew’s on that one.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Can’t beat the Lews for the price, I would go with the $99 one though so you get an aluminum frame.

I just bought my first one and I would say it casts a lot like my Revos. I’m not totally drinking the Koolaid on it like I’ve read everywhere else, I still think my Curados and Zillion cast better but it’s a solid reel for the price so I may buy more.

Also consider the Pfleuger Trion for a cranking reel. A very solid reel with a good reputation.

moestavern10
    St. Paul, MN

Pro Qualifier

I use the 5.2:1 as my cranking reel… Great reel at a great price its on sale for $20 off the original price. 4.8/5 stars for a reason. I think pflueger makes these for BPS, handled great all year. Can cast a mile.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Pfleuger, Abu Garcia, Diawa, Lews, and BPS baitcasting reels share many same parts as they share basically the same frame.

aaron_carrell
    Minneapolis, MN

I picked up the new Shimano Curado 200g series at the Sports Show yesterday for $120 before the $30 mail in rebate. Hard to beat considering the quality of those reels. Thats my 3rd Curado and I definitely don’t regret those purchases. Rock solid reel! Not to mention they come in 3 different speed options too…

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

100% Quantum on my boat. I have beat the snot out of them, 100’s of trout/salmon, ice fish….just like new out of the box. There’s a few guy on IDO that bought all my Accurists that were used. Great feedback from them on how well they liked them, and that was used for guiding

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.