Sonar…is this a good deal?

• cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

This would be a major upgrade for me. It seems like a lot of bang for the buck. My standards are pretty low with a 12 yr old humminbird and an even older lowrance. Any input? http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=770809

Any input on mounting systems so I can put it near the console of my 2003 18.5′ Bass Tracker and be able to swivel it to view when I’m on the front deck?

Attachments:
    1. basstracker.jpg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Ram Mount would work perfect.

Lot of bang for the buck as far as technology. Putting that much info on a 5″ screen is pretty packed. Make sure you take a good look at it from the distance that you would be viewing while in your boat

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Do you need or use SI? If not I would get a unit without SI and get a bigger screen.

Kelly Jordan
    Fort Atikinson,Wisc

50 dollar mail in rebate also. I picked one up for my new boat that is on the way.5 inch screen ok with me, as I will be sitting right next to it being a tiller. The base swivels tilts and removable, but i still got a ram mount for it to lift it up a tad.

red89
    Hudson

Considering that same unit as well. The screen size worries me a bit, but I have good eyes, so as long as the capabilities are not diminished on it being that its a cheaper unit I’m ok with it.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Using one unit at the helm and moving it to the bow is a hassle. Trying to read it at the helm from the bow is a bigger hassle. I would buy the new unit and mount it where you do most of your fishing from. Then mount the older unit in the other spot. If you stand in the bow and cast most of the time, that’s where I would mount the new unit.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Thanks for the input.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I can’t even stand looking at my 898 with an 1199 next to it. A 5″ screen is tiny IMO.

But, yes. Better than what you have. RAM swing arms are much beefier than you need but will rotate for your viewing needs

JoeMX1825
    MN

SI needs a large screen size to get the most out of it. You should watch the classified section of fishing forums to find those who are upgrading year old Humminbird legacy units to Helix models, you can get some unbelievable deals this way…7″ screen is the minimum I would go with an SI unit….8″-10″ preferred…

If you don’t have that much cash right now, save up another month, it will be well worth it…

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

I have an 898 si and the screen is too small for side imaging use

TripleA
    Blaine

Is it a deal??? YES, but it is a tiny screen. I saw this deal when it first arrived on GM’s website. I personally would look for a larger screen as SI requires it to be useful. on a 5″ screen if you just ran SI on ONE side of the boat you might make it useful, and at that point you should just spend the $150 more that Gregory suggests. Gregory’s post is a steal, the GM item is just a deal.

TripleA
    Blaine

I really believe after owning an G2 HDS7 and HDS8, I would NEVER buy the 7 again, as its only a 5″ screen and much less definition vs the 8. Honestly I have found in the open water fishing electronics bigger really is better but obviously costs more.

dbright
    Cambridge

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gregory wrote:</div>
    http://www.thedigitaloasis.com/Humminbird-958c-Hd-Combo_p_24772.html#.Vv-PnVIYFmw

$100 dollars more and bigger screen,just a heads up.

Anybody order from this website before? Also, doesn’t look like it has side imaging or down imaging..?

I bought my 998 the other spring from them. I could not find a place within $500 locally. Free shipping and no tax. It made it to my door in 4or5 days.

red89
    Hudson

Any update on if you bought one? Just curious as I’m in the market for a new one also. My 700 series humminbird has black lines in the screen, freezes, and won’t hardly load the navionics map, so time for a new one.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Any update on if you bought one? Just curious as I’m in the market for a new one also. My 700 series humminbird has black lines in the screen, freezes, and won’t hardly load the navionics map, so time for a new one.

I got it. Still in the box. Weekend project.

red89
    Hudson

Got the 698 at Gander I assume?

That 899ci HD SI for $599.99 that Jeff mentioned looks like a heck of a deal, but Cabelas website says sold out.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Got the 698 at Gander I assume?

That 899ci HD SI for $599.99 that Jeff mentioned looks like a heck of a deal, but Cabelas website says sold out.

Yes. The 899 is out of my budget.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.