Some tips for my end of week trip to leech

• Jonesy

Been fishing leech for 13 years… In the fall. Never have I fished it this early in the year. My plan was jig/minnow, rippn raps, jigging raps, slip bobbers, and trolling some cranks at night. Seeing people suggest that the lake is a few weeks ahead compared to normal years. This has me somewhat worried as I am not ready to be chasing deep fish with spinners, leadcore, etc.

Am I fine with what I have planned or do I need to make a mad scramble and start rigging up other set ups? Anybody willing to share some info as to what I should be looking for? Not looking for hey go to stony point and hit the 3rd rock on the left sorta things but maybe some depth ranges or structure?

Also gonna be looking for some perch and northern. Are they in similar spots to their october areas at all? Have the perch spawned on leech yet?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Shouldn’t be worried, fish will continue on the jig minnow bite for sometime yet. To be honest, does a jig bite ever really stop? Yes some other ways become more efficient but there are always fish to be had on good ol jig n minnow. With that said, this year they are experiencing perhaps more fishing pressure than other years. In that kind of scenario Ive always found that they will move off those popular community spots, but not that far, and not always deeper!

I’d really be pounding weeds IMO. Not only do you have chance at keeper eyes, but very nice pannies as well. Something different for them to look at can be a good thing to. Probably safe to say they’ve seen a hundred parrot colored jig and shiner combo thus far, maybe tail hook, perhaps ring worm around in some emerging weeds in that 6-8′ depth, experiment.

Late winter closer to Boy bay all the eyes we kept had yoy crappies in them. Not that it matters now, but if you’re not heading north towards the Fed the forage base that the eyes are chasing may be completely different. Leeches, crawlers, crappie minnows, be equipped for figuring out what they want. Other than the shiner run, there is a lot of baitfish moving in and out of the warm, greeny bays around any lake right now.

Havent touched Leech this year yet myself, but many colleagues have and they’ve all caught bigger fish on predominately community holes. The smaller eaters are being pushed out by bigger fish, assuming theyre still in the lake, they have to relocate somewhere where they wont have the competition. Where would you go?

Deron Eilertson
    Rainy Lake

TransAm,

You will be fine with the olde jig and minnow combo. Nhamm was right on. The lake is ahead of an average spring. Water temps are a bit warmer and weed growth is beginning. Perch have spawned. Spot Tails and perch will keep the fish shallow and feeding. Not that you cant get some deep, but not necessary that’s for sure. Play the wind. Sounds like a Leech Cliché but it applies. You can find fish “inside” the weeds and scattered on sand as well right now. You can drift with the hoards of boats and still catch fish, but you can certainly find your own. Don’t be afraid to fish shallower then you would think if the conditions are right.

DoRight

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I was up last weekend, and we had the most success (and saw the most fish caught) off of shallow rocks under 10 fow and away from people. I didn’t get anything on plastics, and all the fish were puking and/or full of minnows, so I think you will be just fine and it would take a number of unproductive spots to move me away from a jig and minnow right now.

Crappy Fisherman

I was up last weekend, and we had the most success (and saw the most fish caught) off of shallow rocks under 10 fow and away from people. I didn’t get anything on plastics, and all the fish were puking and/or full of minnows, so I think you will be just fine and it would take a number of unproductive spots to move me away from a jig and minnow right now.

Please send GPS COORDINATES ????

Jonesy

This is exactly the bite I was hoping to get on. I’m sure I will find fish I always do in the fall just getting anxious about the trip I guess lol

kidfish

We insulted a few guys by rigging. But we caught a lot of fish.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

always had some of my best luck up there slipbobber/leach or minnow with a plain hook or flick low light conditions

Crappy Fisherman

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Crappy Fisherman wrote:</div>
    Please send GPS COORDINATES ????

Follow this link and start at any of the red squares, if you don’t catch anything in 30 minutes move to the next one… rotflol rotflol

http://leech-lake.com/wp_lib/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/leechlakemap.pdf

I was just pulling your stringer, been fishing Leech since 1990. Seen the good and bad years. Plenty of good spots that don’t look like a Kmart blue light special. I hate fishing community holes.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I was just pulling your stringer, been fishing Leech since 1990. Seen the good and bad years. Plenty of good spots that don’t look like a Kmart blue light special. I hate fishing community holes.

Kind of figured that, which is why that map I posted, is one of the first ones that comes up on a google search. ;-) I’m with you on avoiding the community spots, as I indicated originally.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.