Some fun action on kings

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Said screw it, needed some mental health time. Dumped in MKE, McKinley and had lines sets at 2am. 2 glow jplugs and 4 glow spoons spread. Was marking a crap load of fish and bait in the 50ish fow range.

Played with speed and at a slower pace (2.0-2.2) plug popped and screamer on….then off. Then again, and again, and again. Frosted as all heck. Just could but stay hooked up. Went 3 for 9 in the dark.

As sunrise came, swapped out a few tods to fly/flasher and one of my old favorites- fin s fish on a hoochie rig behind a 00 dodger.

Had a great 2 hour run at sunrise, then Dead Sea. Packed up at just after 8

Best was 28#, most in the 20-22# all kings

Attachments:
    1. 3B405EE8-D633-430D-A5D5-0A6EF65A4FB8.jpeg

2. C40441C1-7D30-4003-9DC1-BD1EAA6C5378.jpeg

3. BC3CC470-E247-4205-9D46-CE589783F035.jpeg

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

A good day for sure. Miss not going salmon fishing on LM. Do much fishing on Superior?

Pete

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

A good day for sure. Miss not going salmon fishing on LM. Do much fishing on Superior?

Pete

I us d to go up to the bay for smallies a few times a year. In doing so, we made a few salmon trips as well. Rare that I go up that way anymore

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Sounds like a fun “early morning”. Guess I should put my annual pass to use and attempt getting up that early, at least once )

catmando
    wis

Great fishing I just got back from Algoma Saturday, 1 15 pound Laker and some shakers is all we got in 4 days ,some fish were caught in 350 to 400 ft, but this cats not going out that far in my 18 ft tiller, 3 weeks before spanked the Kings on 3 Jplugs with light sticks attached to line. DK.

Musky Ed

Nice fish Randy. Here is two, from our last two times out at Sturgeon bay, last week, and the week before. They are starting to turn color now, so I am switching over to walleye fishing. We have a condo there, so we are there quite a bit. Home smoking some of the fish today, but probably will go back Thursday or Friday for a while.

Attachments:
    1. 20200811_131526.jpg

2. 20200821_142253.jpg

bigpike

Awesome fish. Great report!!

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

X2 For Sure.! .
    What Port did you go out of.? Never had the pleasure of catching a king like those. The only kings i have caught were in the fall fishing steelhead behind spawning salmon. But they weren’t the screamers real doggy fight at that stage of there life. . rrr

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigpike wrote:</div>

X2 For Sure.! .
    What Port did you go out of.? Never had the pleasure of catching a king like those. The only kings i have caught were in the fall fishing steelhead behind spawning salmon. But they weren’t the screamers real doggy fight at that stage of there life. . rrr

RRR we were in Milwaukee. For anyone wanting to do kings on light tackle, the time is NOW. They are staging for the fall run into the rivers. Pretty much ever tributary will have staging Kong’s right now

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Dumped in MKE, McKinley
    Best was 28#, most in the 20-22# all kings

Hey Randy,

I’ve been wanting to do a charter with my daughter, SIL, and grandsons.

I know there are a ton of options, especially farther north but I was thinking closer to Milwaukee being we probably will just plan a day trip and will be leaving from Stoughton.

One I found out of McKinley harbor is Silver King Charters. They have excellent reviews and look to always get fish.

With grandkids I’d sacrifice big fish for more action, cohos and trout too. Not sure if you (or anyone here) has a recommendation but I’d like to hear options/ideas.

Also best time of year to go for good #’s?

Thanks

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Most of the coho and bow action lately has been deep and not in fast furious numbers.

Top # action is typically June/July and water temps mean everything.

Stocking on kings have been reduced, so numbers are not the same as years past

Look up Woda for a charter

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy Wieland wrote:</div>
    Look up Woda for a charter

Who/what is Woda?

Sorry, I’m just so accustom to calling him by his last name. Reel Sensation Chaters. This guy and his staff know their stuff

Home

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Stocking on kings have been reduced, so numbers are not the same as years past.
    Randy is there any natural spawning success with salmon.?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy Wieland wrote:</div>

Stocking on kings have been reduced, so numbers are not the same as years past.
    Randy is there any natural spawning success with salmon.?

Limited to very little. It’s argued and debated frequently. Fin clips identify which hatchery the fingerlings are from. Given the tens of thousands of fingerlings, many get missed. Some guys are quick to say those with no clipped fins are natural.
    Most, not all, of the tributaries to lake mi lack water quality. Such a small percentage get fertilized and survive

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.