So what lures should a new RL guy get?

• Jonesy

So. I am new to ice fishing and just got my first rods but I have zero tackle.

I am going up with my uncle in a few weeks and staying in one of the sleeper shacks. Going for walleye what type/colors should a guy look for when going to RL? Looking at slab raps, jigging raps, rippin raps, and some spoons. Any size/color recommendations? don’t need the secret recipe but looking to be pointed in the right direction a bit.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Just got back from a 4 day stay in a sleeper there. This was trip number 6 to URL for us. Most fish came on deadsticks. We set up our rattle reels with either bare hooks or jigs, this year it seemed like glow jigs had the most success. Jig bite was slower, but we had some success on red (silver or gold) slender spoons and uv pink ultra light rippin raps. Best colors over the years for us have been red, pink, and glow. Good luck!

Hoyt4
    NULL

Our New years was a blast up there. Ton of fish , did not seam to matter what was on the jigging rods they would just hammer them. Red buckshots and plain red hooks on the set lines. Also had one rod setup with a perch colored jigging rap. Both jigging setups where good don’t think one was way better then the other. Buckshot was a glow red .

fishingadam54

Rattle Spoons,Macho minnows,Tingler Spoons,Stop Signs all work…Red,Gold,Glow are my favorite colors but to be honest when it’s on it really don’t matter what your using I’ve seen just about everything work. Plain hooks and glow jigs on your set line and glow them up every 20 minutes at night.

hossfisher

In my experiences, it’s always good to have at least 1 rattling lure down in the house. Whether that’s a buckshot, rippin rap, clam blade spoon, or a flash bang is up to you. If they don’t hit the rattle lure, often times it will call them in to other lures/set lines in the house.

toddrun

We were up the week before Christmas, and glow white hooks on the rattle reels was killer. I was up all night, every night, chasing rattles. But I did refresh the glow often as well, which if you were trying to sleep wouldn’t work.

I don’t fall for the hype of new lures very often, but my son wanted to try the new Lindy Glow Spoon, so we picked up 2 of the medium and 2 of the large sized in 4 different colors. Well, jigging, he was killing them on the large, pink Glow Spoon, out fishing everyone else 10/1, right up until he lost it on a big fish. The other colors did not work as well, he was sad. They would just smack that thing as he lifted it up from them.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Personally I wouldn’t waste any money on ripping/jigging raps if you don’t ice fish. Maybe pull a couple out of your summer tackle box if you have them, but buckshots, lindy rattlin flyers, tingler spoons will catch anything that swims by at a fraction of the cost.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Red on red and if it don’t glow, it don’t go. One rod with a rattling spoon and head, another set rod with a glow demon and a minnow hooked through his rear hanging upside down. 4 out of 5 times you will call them in jigging and they hit the set line. Major times are dawn an dusk, mid day you need to move around if you want better action. Prepare to get very little sleep as they bite all night. Some nights we pull up the lines and try to get sleep, but the absolute biggest eyes I have seen, have come late, late into the night. That is the bible on UPRL….have fun!

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

When I used to fish it a ton, my favorite of all time out there was the 1/8 oz perch tumbler spoon. Second Favorite was a 1/8 rattle spoon in glow Red Shiner. Glow Red and Silver was really all you ever needed. Early in the season when the fish were really aggressive, Rippin’ Raps and Slab Raps were also top producers.

The UV pink vmc rattle spoon has been a consistent go-to for me on both UR and LOW since its inception. Nearly as good as the glow pink rattlin flyer.

Jonesy

Wow guys thanks for the awesome tips. I am getting excited!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.