Snowmobile battery going bad within a year

• muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

My 2000 Polaris 550 Indy Trail seems to chew through a battery every year. The batteries will fail the load test when taking them back to be checked. Been buying the batteries at Fleet Farm and recently used a Road Runner AGM 12V. Most of the riding is for pulling the Otter out for ice fishing. So a lot of shorter runs moving from spot to spot. Nothing else is hooked to the battery.

Any ideas on what to check out? Thanks in advance

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

My 2000 Polaris 550 Indy Trail seems to chew through a battery every year. The batteries will fail the load test when taking them back to be checked. Been buying the batteries at Fleet Farm and recently used a Road Runner AGM 12V. Most of the riding is for pulling the Otter out for ice fishing. So a lot of shorter runs moving from spot to spot. Nothing else is hooked to the battery.

Any ideas on what to check out? Thanks in advance

The only thing that has worked for me is to remove the battery from the snowmobile at the end of the season and put it on a charger every few months throughout the summer. If I leave batteries in snowmobiles during the off season they’re dead come fall.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m no expert, but have had good luck with the Battery Tender brand chargers keeping things ready to roll and preserving batteries.

CaptainMusky

Keep a trickle charger on it year round whether its in the machine or inside. Also do not put the battery directly on concrete when storing.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Thanks for the idea on the trickle charger. I bought this battery right before using the sled for the first time last December. Did not use a trickle charger during the winter and the sled started (electric start) every time until near the end of the last trip of the season. Had to pull start it a few times. Took the battery out and put it on a trickle charger. It chargers to 14.4 volts but will not turn over the snowmobile. Best guess is the battery would fail a load test, which has been the problem for the last three batteries. This is very frustrating.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Snowmobiles and ATV’s and fuel injected Outboard motors now have electrical vampires that slowly drain your Battery. Batteries plus set me up with some Odyssey AGM? Batteries and battery tenders and all my battery problems went away. If it isn’t being driven the Battery tender is on.

Mwal

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Could also be a bad charging alternator on the sled taking out the battery.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

What others have said. My quad batteries last for 2-3 years (or so) by using the machine regularly and keeping them charged in the off season. My plow vehicle left out it the cold with battery installed tends to be the worst.

MX1825

Put a tender on it. Harbor freight sells a good one for about $25. I have one on anything I’m not using at the moment.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

My 2000 Polaris 550 Indy Trail seems to chew through a battery every year.

So a lot of shorter runs moving from spot to spot.

Snowmobiles and ATV’s and fuel injected Outboard motors now have electrical vampires that slowly drain your Battery.

Yep, The clock on my ATV is ALWAYS “ON” even with the key removed from the machine. I solved that problem and any other parasitic drain, by installing a battery cutoff switch.
    So now, anytime I’m not using the machine (even overnight) the battery is electrically isolated from the machine.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Rather then putting a tender on add a cutoff switch or just disconnect the battery cable. Having a constant draw and having a tender will still decrease the life of your battery.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

What MX says.
    I have tenders everywhere, they extend the life of your battery and you never go out to a dead battery.

Nothing worse than needing to jump on your rig and….nadda.

MX1825

Rather then putting a tender on add a cutoff switch or just disconnect the battery cable. Having a constant draw and having a tender will still decrease the life of your battery.

I’ll agree a cut off switch will work but I’m not hooking a battery cable up everytime I want to jump on the SxS, ATV, mower, etc. doah

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I used to fight these small batteries in mowers, atvs, etc. until I started charging on a regular basis. Put an onboard 2 amp charger on the sxs last winter and hoping that saves me some headaches. Depending how you use your machines, I don’t think they fully recharge while running.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have battery tender leads on all my stuff but only to plug in once in a while and top off. I never leave them on for any duration.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I used to fight these small batteries in mowers, atvs, etc. until I started charging on a regular basis. Put an onboard 2 amp charger on the sxs last winter and hoping that saves me some headaches. Depending how you use your machines, I don’t think they fully recharge while running.

Especially if you plow snow with your SxS

I have battery tender leads on all my stuff but only to plug in once in a while and top off. I never leave them on for any duration.

I wish I could get into that habit but have them scattered all over the place.
    or maybe I’m just too lazy doah

MX1825

I wish I could get into that habit but have them scattered all over the place.
    or maybe I’m just too lazy doah
    [/quote]

Maybe there’s a reason you forget? toast doah

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.