Snowblower impeller mod

• Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Wondering if anyone has done this and if so did you feel it made a difference. Reading mixed reviews. Some people say it doesn’t work and others claim fifteen to twenty feet further distance.

Attachments:
    1. 1B2E5AAA-C5A5-43EC-ABE5-EFC207EDE180.jpeg

michael keehr

I have done it to both of my machines I didn’t see a lot off distance improvement on my 4 horse Toro, but seen quite a bit of distance added to my 8 horse john deere. Biggest thing for me was I don’t get the clogging in heavy wet snow like I used to

RT
    Twin Cities

It added some distance to the throw, but not the crazy distances advertised. But as another poster mentioned, it did nearly eliminate the clogging of the slush. To me, that alone was worth the price and hassle of the installation.

bitzenguy
    ROCHESTER

I did it with my 8 hp 26″ blower this fall.
    So far I have noticed a difference. I wouldn’t say its amazing. But it does throw it farther.
    Maybe the wet heavy stuff only goes a few feet farther.But at least its not right next to the edge of the driveway.
    Also, I did not buy a kit, I made my own out of pieces of rubber and used sheet metal screws that I had on hand. So other than a an hour of my time. Mine was free.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve seen that mod mentioned many times.

For you guys that have done it, do your machines burn up belts a lot faster?

I’d just think that introducing that much friction between the impeller and the housing where there used to be space would really drag on the belt and burn them up faster? Or maybe the snow keeps it slippery enough? Just what occurred to me when I saw the idea on Youtube.

Grouse

RT
    Twin Cities

I’d just think that introducing that much friction between the impeller and the housing where there used to be space would really drag on the belt and burn them up faster? Or maybe the snow keeps it slippery enough? Just what occurred to me when I saw the idea on Youtube.

Grouse

There should be, per the instructions, a small gap between the rubber paddle mod and the housing. I was close on two of mine, but the other rubbed. It didn’t take long for the rubber paddle to wear down and it no longer rubs.

hdog3385

Did it to mine as well, made them out of an old mud flap, the molded plastic type. I cut them to fit tight and then lubed the housing fairly liberally with silicone before the first run. They wore in real quick, probably 30 seconds, never affected the belt at all. Totally transformed my old blower which is a hybrid Honda/Cub cadet. That was 2 years ago and I haven’t seen any signs of needing to replace the fins yet.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Sounds like I’m going to do it. Thanks for the responses. I’m also thinking about putting a half inch smaller pulley on the impeller shaft to increase rpm.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Gino, please do a before and after on the snow blower how far it moves the snow.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Gino, please do a before and after on the snow blower how far it moves the snow.

OK. I’ll do it first stock then with the mod and then with the smaller pulley.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigcrappie wrote:</div>

OK. I’ll do it first stock then with the mod and then with the smaller pulley. Then a small block chevy 350…….

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Not on mine.
    I have an old POS Simplicity with a 5hp. (Ya, I know its a POS and should be replaced with at least a kit of nitrous)

I just cut pieces of scrap belt from our round bailer and used those. Buddy advised me to grease the housing before running so the paint didn’t wear off. Well that was a joke because it was already rusty in there. But I did lube it for the first run.

I did my driveway (80′ x 26′ + extras). Wet snow and it never clogged! Didn’t really notice a significant increase in throwing distance, but not clogging was the best attribute.

As for the rubber pads, they were worn in by the time I was done with the first use. Did smell a little burnt rubber on the first couple passes. Drive belt is probably 6 or 7 years old and I didn’t have any issue with it at all. Personally I think the clogging did more damage to the belts

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Did you guys do the mod with impeller installed or disassembled? Looking at mine, I’d have no idea how to get the impeller off to begin with.

bitzenguy
    ROCHESTER

Grouse

Mine is just barely touching the metal sides. So I am not worried about the belt.
    But I will say I have only needed to use the snowblower a couple of times this year so I am very grateful for that.

bitzenguy
    ROCHESTER

Did you guys do the mod with impeller installed or disassembled? Looking at mine, I’d have no idea how to get the impeller off to begin with.

I just took my chute off and did it from above working down on each paddle as I turned the impeller then braced it with a 2×4. Not easy to get hands in there but it worked fine for me. I would not have wanted to take the whole thing apart just for this.

munchy
    NULL

Anybody doing this PLEASE disconnect (preferably remove) the spark plug. Don’t want to imagine what could happen turning the impeller with your hands in there.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Wish I did. It would have been a lot easier

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I just finished my impeller kit. I used 1/4 inch rubber and 1/8 inch aluminum, stainless steel lag bolts. My impeller gap was 3/8 inch. My results are before the kit I measured 15 to 17 feet of distance, after the installation I measured 20 to 23. So I would say it was worth it. Removed the shoot to do the job.

Attachments:
    1. CA49D672-2BAA-43CF-B339-200DAF446EB5.jpeg

2. 96B81024-3B43-49D3-9756-9A79F960CD5E.jpeg

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

A couple more

Attachments:
    1. 3F74065D-BEEF-44F9-AA6E-B4B37E703402.jpeg

2. C1BD3695-7539-45F2-8DD2-F8D5ABE59256.jpeg

Charles

Good lord you guys need to go fishing lol.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Nice to have real world results vs internet gossip. LOL )

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Still looking for the v-8 Chevy. Lol

Attachments:
    1. 7B3DB364-29F2-4FBC-A81B-D26722D13236.png

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.