Snow Blower

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>
    Totally agree with Gitchi, a headlight is a must-have. Wish my blower had that

Does your machine have a stator with the wire thing hanging out? I installed a light on mine and it was easy. Run the power off that wire and add a ground and you’re all set. If you want, you can get fancy and wire in a switch but mine is just always on.

Unfortunately, my 1985 Honda does not have a stator. But great post because it’s an easy and worthwhile addition.

hillhiker
    SE MN

I bought a Ariens crossover last year and its been great. It starts in two pulls every time even after sitting for the summer, and has the power to chew threw piles and big drifts. I see they about doubled in price since I bought mine last year…

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

Thanks for all your input guys. I have been researching looking at your input. I live in NE SD and we get winds that will blow up big drifts whenever we get light snow so a 2 stage is needed. Looking at early next week we are going to get a large dump of snow so I will be going to Runnings today to see what they have in stock. Anyone use leaf blowers for light snows? I noticed all my neighbors use them when we just get a dusting.

CaptainMusky

I use my leaf blower sometimes, but I also like to just pack the snow down with light snows vs cleaning it down to bare pavement.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I use my leaf blower sometimes, but I also like to just pack the snow down with light snows vs cleaning it down to bare pavement.

A big Stihl backpack blower will make the shortest work imaginable of fluffy snowfalls up to 6 or 7 inches. If your medium sized snowblower can launch it pretty well, a large backpack blower can also. The heavier, high moisture content stuff is tougher. This is often quicker to melt or compact though as well.

Our driveway is gravel and we essentially only plow drifts. I like a snow base that’s packed down and hate the idea of plowing gravel into grass or launching gravel with a blower. Once a good frost is established and a couple inches of packed snow…then if you do end up plowing it is much easier.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Our driveway is gravel and we essentially only plow drifts. I like a snow base that’s packed down and hate the idea of plowing gravel into grass or launching gravel with a blower. Once a good frost is established and a couple inches of packed snow…then if you do end up plowing it is much easier.

Same.

I probably would not have hooked up my plow yet if it weren’t for The wind blowing all of that light snow into huge drifts in the driveway. Nothing like a nice layer of packed snow to make future snow removal easier.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I picked up a Husquarna snow blower a few years ago. I could not be happier. That thing will throw snow a mile. With the easy turn assist and the easy direct control its really easy to operate. My wife even can handle it. Most large snowstorms I do mine and 3-4 neighbors driveways in a rather short time.

Stanley

I have a Ariens 28in SHO and that things throws snow. My driveway is gravel and a weird set up as I share part of my driveway with my neighbor so I can only blow snow one direction otherwise it would go onto his part or hit his house. I have an area to back up into so you can drive straight out my driveway instead of backing onto the road and at that part it is close to 50’ wide and I was tired of having to blow snow twice with my old craftsman and the new ariens has no problem getting the snow into the yard as long as it’s not windy.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

If you live in MN and don’t think you need a snowblower…….good luck with that!

Pretty happy with my 24″ troybilt. i just keep pouring non oxy and seafoam in her and she never lets me down. sometimes its so fun I do my neighbors too. only the ones that appreciate it tho!

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.