Smoked taters!

• Ice Cap

Smoked several pork butts last week. If I have room in the smoker I like to throw some taters in. Roll them in some oil and then season with whatever you like. I smoke them until they are a little over half way done and then cool and put in fridge. They make great breakfast potatoes fried up on the griddle. Or slice them into steak fries and deep fry them a for a couple minutes. They are the best for a lot of uses!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0077.jpg

Coletrain27

Those are always good. I like cubing them up and seasoning them and adding a little oil to them toast

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

What is your gauge for half done? I seem to think they are just drying out when I do them, but maybe because I try to finish them on the smoker.

Ice Cap

What is your gauge for half done? I seem to think they are just drying out when I do them, but maybe because I try to finish them on the smoker.

I just squeeze them. They are soft on the outside but you can still feel they aren’t done all the way through.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

How smokey do you find them? I tried smoking potatoes when I got my first smoker. Was so strong I never tried it again. Can’t remember now if they were whole or cut though

Ice Cap

Every smoker is different. I find them to have that perfect smoky flavor. I have a stick burner and use red oak 90% of the time. Oak is a pretty mild smoke over all. They are on the smoker for a hour to a hour and a half so not that long. If they were cut that may have had something to do with it but I always smoke them whole.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Bet they would be good in an au gratin cheese sauce for smoky scalloped potatoes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.