Smallies

• Ben Anderson
    NULL

Been to Mille lacs a couple times and only fished walleye. I was wondering what are some of the best tactics for catching smallies there in summer?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Tubes and if the conditions are right (calm and somewhat flat surface) topwater baits. I like pitching tube baits over cranks. Just easier to deal with one hook over a couple trebles. That and they just plain put a lot of fish in the boat.

-J.

Ben Anderson
    NULL

thanks any colors that the fish seem to favor?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Pumpkin-Gold Fleck, Green-Gold Fleck. Start as light as you can on the jig weight. The fall rate can make a big difference most days. (Slower the fall rate the better IMO.)

-J.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I am still getting a lot of smallies pulling cranks over the shallow rocks. I got 20 plus fish this last weekend with a perch colored crank trolled over the rocks in 6-10ft.

andy bice
    NULL

I am still getting a lot of smallies pulling cranks over the shallow rocks. I got 20 plus fish this last weekend with a perch colored crank trolled over the rocks in 6-10ft.

Sticker, do u every pickup any eyes doing this?

sticker

You bet I do. I am actually targeting eyes and these buggers are getting in the way. )

andy bice
    NULL

sticker, good problem to have!

andy bice
    NULL

sticker, is that usually low light that you’re able to get um in that shallow of water?

andy bice
    NULL

last post i’m referring to walleyes, not smallies

sticker

I usually go out about 7pm and fish til 9pm. I hate fishing after dark. Get both smallies and eyes at that time, then back on the water by 5:30-6am and catch both again up until about 10am. Mid day is usually smallies only, but I do get an occasional eye if it’s windy.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

thanks any colors that the fish seem to favor?

My favorite is a pumpkinseed Berkley PowerTube on a 1/16 oz Fin-tech Titleshot jig. Other go to is a 3″ green ChiggerCraw on a 1/8 oz Titleshot.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.