Smallies, Pike, Muskie September 5-7

• Brewer

My wife and I had a trip planned to Mille Lacs for walleye over Labor Day. Even though we can’t fish for walleye we still want to check out the lake. So we’re going to head out for smallies, pike, and/or muskie. We’ll be staying at Izatys. I haven’t spent much time on Mille Lacs before or much time fishing for any of these species. So any info on where to fish or what to use or which bait shops to stop at on the way up would be appreciated.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

On the south end out of Izatys, Lundeens is short drive. They also have recent reports that I would say are spot on right now. Nice, well run shop.

http://www.lundeens.com/

Due to the walleye closure, I’m a little wary or using anything that may be confused as “targeting” walleye. There are still people and launches using leeches under bobbers for perch and smallies. Personally, I would not want to have that discussion with a DNR officer. I can still catch a lot of smallies casting tube jigs, or surface cranks. For pike, we did pretty good trolling spoons near weeds. (See recent report.)

There were a few guys out hucking big baits for musky. We had a full moon over the weekend. Not sure on that bite. But if you are looking for a musky guide on the south end, look up Tim Chapman.

http://www.millelacsresort.com/fishing/fishing.htm

Good luck on your trip.

-J.

Brewer

Thanks for the info Jon. We’ll stop at Lundeens when we get up there. I saw your posted about trolling for pike. We’ll definitely give that a shot. That’s a good point about the appearance of walleye fishing. Probably best not to risk it. Any thoughts on depth for fishing with tube jigs? I’ll post our results.

muskychaser
    Prescott, Wi

The reef as you come out of the marina will hold Smallies. Pitch tubes or Prescott Baits.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.