Small mouth on the fly

• Craig Laurion

I’m looking for streams in central iowa that I can wade this late September with a fly rod, looking for smallmouth. Going to be up there for around a week and looking for some fun. Not interested in lakes. Any help appreciated.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I’ve never fished Iowa. But I do have a copy of Tim Holschlag’s excellent book, “Smallmouth Fly Fishing”. In the Destination chapter, he lists the Turkey, the Upper Iowa, and the Cedar rivers.

SR

Craig Laurion

Thanks for the start. And the quote is spot on!

Rick Janssen

All those river listed are your best bet for fly fishing. SMB will be small but plentiful with a chance at a big one. Upper Iowa is NOT really Central Iowa, but it is worth the trip. If you want to try the Iowa trout, the same area around the Upper Iowa has some good trout streams also. Check the Iowa DNR web site for more info on trout fishing.

Craig Laurion

Have been looking at Brushy Creek Recreaction area a good ways down stream from the dam, like where 290 ( of 290th street I can’t remember) crosses Brushy Creek. Some of the trails look like I can reach the stream from them as does Brushy Creek road. Anyone have thoughts on this. It seems that if I access a stream in a public park I may not come in conflict with land owners, and pictures of the creek look real pretty, and wadeabl.
    I’m looking in the Story area because my wife has reunion up there. Can’t really head too far northeast for the trout.
    There’s my story for now. Thanks for your help. Hoping to hear more soon.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

The Skunk river right near Story, the Boone(south of Brushy Creek), the Des Moines all hold smallies, as well as many of the feeder streams. A little further west in the Carroll area is the Raccoon river, with some good stretches for smallmouth as well. A little Google time should find you plenty of access points for any of these as well. Good luck and let us know how you do!

Craig Laurion

Does the brush creek rec. Area have good access points to the creek?

Craig Laurion

Thank you all for your help. Looks like I have some good options close by but still need to do some google work for good access points.by
    Any knowledge at all on Brushy Creek Recreational area access to the creek. I loved the look of some of the photos I’ve seen.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Cedar river at Waverly, below the dam. Easy to wade. smallmouth, northern, walleye. I don’t fly fish but caught lots of fish there with spinners and crankbaits. I have not been there in a couple of years, but sure its still the same. Lots of rocks.
    I know this is an old post but thought might be of interest to someone.

Deuces

Found it quite interesting there was quite the flurry of night activity this week on the river where the smallies were going airborne snatching at something. Didn’t know wtf was going on, couldnt find any type of hatch going on and so late in the year.

Didn’t catch crap which also eludes to the fact something was going on underneath.

Bob Bowman
    MN

No hatch, tons of minnows up shallow right now. Seeing the same thing late too👍

Deuces

Good stuff Bob. One of those rare nights I wish I had some livebait. Oh well, still fun to see.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.