Installing rod holders

• gbsoren
    MN, USA

I just purchased a couple of Folbe rod holders for my WX2000T, they come with the side mounts. What is the proper way to install them? Screws? Bolts? Do they need a “backing plate”? I can reach up on the inside of my rod locker and feel that there is nothing other than the fiber glass to attach them to, I could pretty easily put in a backing plate with little bolts to attach them there, but the front position on the bow could be a little tougher. Advise please! And thank you!

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

install rails, front and rear, and then put them on those.

gbsoren
    MN, USA

I wish I had rails, but my boat doesn’t and it has a custom snap on cover and if I installed rails now I would have to have a new cover made…..although that has crossed my mind.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I mounted a few on my 2000T. I bought some 1 inch stainless screws that they had at cabelas. I predrilled the holes and used a 7/8 inch bit to counter sink the holes. The guys at wave wackers recommended that to prevent the gel coat from cracking. It has worked fine for everything I have mounted.

Sartell Eye Guy
    Sartell, MN

On rails is best but it doesn’t sound like that’s an option.

Like Dan said, it is critical that you counter sink the screw holes even if it is covered up with the holder base to prevent gel cracks. I HATED drilling holes for my graph mounts but if you take your time and do it right, you won’t have any trouble.

You can google “drilling in fiberglass” or something along those lines to get an idea, or, give Farm Island Marine or Skeeter Boat Center a call to discuss how they do it. They do it every single day and will have the best advice.

Good luck – And I love your choice in a boat.

Adam

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.