2011 Skeeter 1850

• Drew14741
    Osage, Iowa

Any opinions on this boat? Trying to find a new rig for the coming summer and beyond. Last boat was a 2007 Alumacraft Navigator 175 Sport that I sold last summer, and wanted to try something new. I have a short attention span. Thanks.

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

I got a 2010 wx1850 /F150 late last summer, replacing my ’07 Alumacraft 175 TourneyPro/Suzuki SF140. (I also have a short attention span )

I have nothing but good to say about my rig. Great ride and storage. I didn’t get it out on any serious water (big waves / wind) last year, but I noticed a very nice and dry ride, on a few occasions that would have been a ruff, wet ride in my TP.

I’d suggest scheduling a test drive this spring and visiting Skeeter Boat Center. Nothing but good to say about them and their service as well.

Good luck…and have fun…..PM me if you have any questions on my rig, or even better yet, give SBC a call.

Drew14741
    Osage, Iowa

What did you get for MPH with the 150? Just curious.

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

48-49 all day with 3/4 full tank, full gear and other guy in boat. 50-50.5 with same load by myself. That’s with a Yamaha Reliance 19 Pitch prop. If you looking for speed, look at the HPDI rigged 1850s.

Drew14741
    Osage, Iowa

Plenty fast for me! Thanks.

a-and-t
    By Rochester,MN

We also have a 2010 1850wx with a 150 and a 9.9 kicker. 101 terrova in front. Most likely 80lb will be plenty. I had a 17′ Lund Mr. pike with a dual console. It is definately a huge upgrade IMHO. 2 things that stand out for me was the ride on rough water Like Rainy Lake and the tracking in current like the river. I personally took SBC up on their offer for a free test ride, and that is somthing any person should do as it is a major purhase , and you should get what works for you.

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

80# does everything i want my 1850 to do 100% of the time, for the most part. .

I’m good with it, but wished I’d have “bit the bullet” up front, and gotten the 101. Definately would be nice on river, and extra run time = peace of mind.

Might have to wait til next boat, God, (and wife) willing.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I’m good with it, but wished I’d have “bit the bullet” up front, and gotten the 101. Definately would be nice on river, and extra run time = peace of mind.

I’m sure there are a lot of us watching this thread as a new Skeeter is on the radar this spring.

I will be putting a 101# on the front of mine. Those high current/wind days really take their toll on a 24v system.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

The 80# really is more than enough on the river unless you’re trolling with it. I guided for 10 years on the river and most of the time I had a 24V system on 18′ boats. I can’t remember ever running short on juice unless it was time to replace batteries.

In a 20′ boat I’d recommend a 36V. Or if you planned to troll with the electric.

One thing I do recommend if run time at the electric is a concern with a 24 V system is having the dealer upgrade your batteries from the smaller 27 series batteries most boats come with and jump to 29, 30 or even 31 series batteries depending on what will fit. You’ll see a significant increase in run time without adding the weight of a third battery (29, 30 or 31 series batteries do weigh more than a 27 series) and the larger batteries really don’t cost all that much more when you’re doing them as an upgrade at the time the boat is purchased over the 27 series.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Quote:

The 80# really is more than enough on the river unless you’re trolling with it. I guided for 10 years on the river and most of the time I had a 24V system on 18′ boats. I can’t remember ever running short on juice unless it was time to replace batteries.

In a 20′ boat I’d recommend a 36V. Or if you planned to troll with the electric.

James, is there a big difference between the 80# Terrova and the 70# PowerDrive? I’ve got the 70# PowerDrive on my Crestliner 1850 and I’ve found it lacking in the heavy current/wind (Hay Creek in the spring). It did the job, but I was running at high settings all day long.

I’ll have a T9 kicker on the new boat, so trolling will be done with the kicker. However dragging jigs all day in higher current is a concern of mine. Especially when I fish back to back days and charging time comes into play. Thanks for the help.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

James, is there a big difference between the 80# Terrova and the 70# PowerDrive? I’ve got the 70# PowerDrive on my Crestliner 1850 and I’ve found it lacking in the heavy current/wind (Hay Creek in the spring). It did the job, but I was running at high settings all day long.

I’ll have a T9 kicker on the new boat, so trolling will be done with the kicker. However dragging jigs all day in higher current is a concern of mine. Especially when I fish back to back days and charging time comes into play. Thanks for the help.

The 80# is definitely stronger than the 70# and it feels more capable than the 10# thrust difference would suggest.

One of the biggest improvements you can make in run time is in stepping up in battery size as I mentioned above. Most boats come with 27 series batteries and they’re “adequate” but only just barely when fishing moving water. Some “low ball” dealers will send boats out with 24 series batteries… if by chance you have these smaller series deep cycles in your boat I’d recommend the upgrade to the largest capacity deep cycle batteries you can fit in the battery compartment.

I always ran 29 or 30 series batteries (depending on what would fit) on my 24V systems and never had an issue with run times. Re-charging cycles with a 10/amp bank charger were also not an issue as long as I could leave everything charging overnight.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Awesome info, thanks James.

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Quote:

Awesome info, thanks James.

+1. Thanks James, good advice, and reassurance.

Wade, PM sent.

arklite881south

I would prefer ANDY stays with a smaller motor and the 80lb thrust anyway. This way he remains 2nd to the spot.

The 101 is dominating on the WX2100 and for this bigger glass boat it is definatley perfectly matched. My assumption would be the 80# thrust Terrova would be great on the 1850 and probably 1950 as well.

THEN add Ipilot through the SBC and live the dream. After all who gets off the couch these days without being upset about having to manually turn channels on the television. I assure you the Terrova without the Ipilot for structure fisherman on the lake is like having a beautiful flat screen television wall mounted that takes a ladder to turn the channels.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.