Anchoring

• sandacz

When you anchor your skeeter, where do you connect the rope? Bow eye, side cleat?

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I don’t own a skeeter but I would say it depends on how you want to position your boat so either or.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Good answer… especially in current or wind… changing the anchor rope position from side to side changes the location of your boat by a few to several feet. I have six mooring cleats in my boat and use them all.

kizew
    Dallas, WI

Awesome answers guys!! Cleats, bow eye or rails are all great options, and they let you “fine tune” your anchor position to best suit your fishing situation as well as allowing for wind or current.

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

From your anchored position no matter which eye or cleat you may choose, you can “swing at least 30 degrees” by turning your big motor either hard left or right especially fishing wingdams with current on them.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Another option,especially in high wind or current is the double drop n stay. It is a bungee like harness that hooks on both cleats and the anchor rope attaches to the middle.I use it during high current or wind situations.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

All of the above are very good points. For me fishing the river quite a bit, I added 2 extra cleats on the very front of the boat. I added one on each side of the trolling motor to keep the rope as close to center as possible. With the high current at times it is critical to be as close to the center as possible so you dont swing as bad!!!!

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

I use the bow eye 90% of the time, I use a 15′ dock rope and tie it to the anchor rope,that way I dont’ have to lean over the front to pull the anchor.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

I dont anchor much but agree on using the bow eye. I use the detachable section of my drift sock and clip it to the front eyelit, the other end of the strap gets hooked on the bow cleat until the anchor is needed. A quick knot and anchors away, making sure to have the slack tied to something like your partners leg in case the initial knot gives way. This way I can swtich from bow eye to side cleat without having to reach to the bow eyelet more than once.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.