Snap on Cover advice (Skeeter or Ranger owners)

• mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

I’m a three time owner of custom snap on covers on aluminum boats and loved all of them for all.

I’ll be bringing my new Skeeter 1850 soon, and was just under the assumption I would be getting a strap / tie down custom Top Gun cover. When I contacted my cover maker, he said he’s done many Skeeter and Ranger snap ons. He’ll do what I want, but he said the snap on for a Skeeter would be as solid and snaps as out of the way (snaps mounted througn underside of rub rail) as my aluminum boat.
    I trust the guy, but with all the experience out their from real boat owners, I’d appreciate any comments / advice / experiences if you’ve had a snap on cover on a glass boat. He mounts the snaps on underside of rub rail (not through glass under the rub rail). Anyone have that kind of set up on a Skeeter or Ranger?

Did you have the soft white backing added to all surface contact areas? or just sharp / pressure point areas??

Cover the bow electric??

Thanks in advance.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Added layers around all the surface areas, and certainly get the TM covered. My cover no longer fits after I swapped TM, and it a PITA to cover my boat, gotta take the TM off,between that and the 10# mounting plate it’s not a lot of fun and a bit awkward. I also have a Ranger and a factory cover so I can’t add much else.

packers12

Get the ratachet stap cover not the snap you will be much happier.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

As a first time glass boat owner, I have the ratchet type cover..I have never owned a better cover for quality and ease of use.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:

Get the ratachet stap cover not the snap you will be much happier.

Exactly my thoughts. I love the ratchet strap system on my Ranger.

brentbullets

Get the ratchet. Its faster on and off. Mine was made by Len’s custom cover in Sioux Falls SD. It cost about $780.00 for my Skeeter WX2100 and it covers trolling motor and is reenforced around windshield and ALL areas of contact such as rails, trolling motor etc. and comes with a 5 year guarrantee but I know people that he has repaired there covers after that at no charge if it wasn’t missused.

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Thanks for all the advise, even though I went with another snap-on. I talked with a couple of glass / snap cover owners, and saw pix of Skeeters / Rangers with snap-ons, and decided to stay with what I know. Top Gun. Doubled-up across windshield and rails / Folbe brackets. Snaps are screwed into the bottom of the rub rail except for a few across the back transom well. I’ve had it on and off a couple of times now, and am very happy with it. Tack down the corners, and it’s finished in a couple of minutes.

I’m sure a good, custom ratchet could be as tight, and a bit faster, but I know this one’s not moving, and for some reason, I find snaps easier than most.

btw, PROPS to Skeeter Boat Center and Eric Rehberg. I’m loving my 1850!

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

You got one nice looking rig there, thats for sure

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.