New Yamaha F70

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Anyone run one of these yet? Are they even available yet? With all the talk about the new SHO motors I’ve not heard much said about some of the changes coming to the smaller Yamaha motors. I’ve been considering the purchase of a small winter boat for pool 2 and 4 and I did some digging into the info available on the smaller motors. The new F70 looks like it could be a real winner on a 16’ – 17’ boat. Check out the weight difference. The F70 is lighter than all the 2 strokers by a large margin.

One item that has me curious is that the displacement on the new F70 is smaller than most of the competitors. Will it be an issue or can the upgrades to the valve train make up for the smaller bore and stroke? I guess all it would take is a test drive to find out.

Regardless…. some cool stuff coming down the pike. I for one am glad to see the emphasis on engine weight as the manufacturer’s across the board were headed in the wrong direction there for awhile.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

What up with making a 70hp? Are they still going to have a 75. Maybe they are going back to 80s then to?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

No idea why they would pick a 70 versus 75 or what the plans are for the entire lineup. I’m scrounging for info at this point as there really doesn’t seem to be much out there.

Surf-N-Turf
    Stevens Point, WI

You might want to peek @ WalleyeCentral (motors) there was some buzz on there awhile back. I know a guy had an F70 on order? Gregory

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Hopefully, the decision between reliabilty and performance will become an easy one.

Jeff Matura
    Sumner, IA

Those weight differences are just amazing, especialy when compared to the two-strokes.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Hopefully, the decision between reliabilty and performance will become an easy one.

I got to drive a pair of SHO yamaha motors this past weekend and if the new SHO 4 strokers are as reliable as the “older” yamaha motors there won’t be any reason to own a 2 stroke for performance reasons. Those SHO motors had the best hole shot and mid range torque of any motor I’ve ever drove. And as the other manufacturers respond offerings will continue to get better across the board which is a “win-win” regardless of your preferred brand.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

You might want to peek @ WalleyeCentral (motors) there was some buzz on there awhile back. I know a guy had an F70 on order? Gregory

I dug around and couldn’t find where anyone had taken delivery yet. Not to say it isn’t there. I just couldn’t find it.

I’m going to ping the guys at Skeeter Boat Center and see what if anything they know.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Quote:

Quote:

I dug around and couldn’t find where anyone had taken delivery yet. Not to say it isn’t there. I just couldn’t find it.

I’m going to ping the guys at Skeeter Boat Center and see what if anything they know.

James,
    Here’s the WC thread. No performance data yet, but maybe drop him a note?
    HRG F70 thread

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks HRG. I appreciate you digging that up for me.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.