150/2000T

• Sartell Eye Guy
    Sartell, MN

I FINALLY put the boat in the water today. The best way to describe this set up it…WOW!!!!!!!!!!WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW!!!

After putting around for the 1st hour of break in (I’m not sure who was more bored, my 3 year old Wyatt or my tourney partner Chad) I was able to let the new Yammy stretch it’s legs a bit. And troll a bit. And fish a bit.

The conditions on Sugar lake today were pretty mild. The biggest waves were from ski boats. The largest being less than 12″.

1.2 to 1.3 in reverse(roughly .3 to .4 more than the 115). These back trolling speeds were about average weather going against or sideways to the “waves”. I didn’t throw a sock out but am 100% confident that you’d have to give the motor a little gas to get above zero in reverse with a sock out.

2.3 to 2.4 going forward (about .3 faster than the 115). Again, because the seas were so short it didn’t matter what direction.

Both of these speeds can be cut to “hover” with the 101 Vantage in the direction of your choice. The Vantage is awesome, just drop the big motor in gear and adjust speed with the Vantage running in the opposite direction, while still staying on the spot or desired direction with the big motor.

Top GPS speed was 49.8 mph. I couldn’t really let it run flat out due to the break in hours but am confident that with a few more seconds of WOT it will breeze by the 50mph mark. With a little prop testing and maybe a motor mount position change, it will do low to mid 50’s. Now, weather you want to go any faster or not will be a big decision. I have NEVER put the safety lanyard on in any of my boats except in a tourney before. After I dropped Chad and my son off to let it rip for a bit, I put the darn thing on. Passing jet skis on my first WOT pass caused me to rethink not wearing it. The dam thing is scary!!! And I’m very used to 50+mph on the water. I don’t know why it’s so different, but one hand on a tiller handle has a MUCH higher pucker factor than one hand on a wheel.

The next and last test was the Mertens power steer. Again, Wow, wow, wow, wow. As you can see in the pic, my 3 year old can drive this boat. (I locked the speed at idle when he “drove”). It literally is the slightest pressure left or right and the motor moves. I wish I would have put the Mertens on the 115, it would have made the first couple months of tiller ownership much more enjoyable.

Anyway, that’s my report on the Yamaha 150 on the Skeeter WX2000T. It was everything I hoped for and more. This boat/hull just flat out works. With a 115 or a 150, you will not be dissapointed in this rig. From the very first time I tested this boat a year ago I’ve said that Skeeter hit a home run with it. After hundreds of hours in it already this summer, I feel the same way.

Please shoot me a PM if you want to see how it works in person.

Adam Laidlaw
    Sartell, MN

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Glad to hear it finally came together for you! Cute kid, must take after Momma, eh?
    Enjoy!
    HRG

petty
    United States

Sounds like a great rig!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Sounds awesome!!!

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

150 Tiller, Saweet. I remember when dad use to let me drive the 40 horse johnson tiller when I was a real youngster. Used to make Mom mad as heck, but I was always smiling from ear to ear. Thanks for the numbers on how it performs.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Thanks for the update Adam. It sounds awesome!!! Now, do you know anyone with a T8 kicker you can hang on it to see if it will fit????? I think that is going to make or break this boat for me.

Sartell Eye Guy
    Sartell, MN

Thanks all. Going to finish break in Friday on Mille Lacs so I can scare the he!! out of my wife on Saturday during the couples tourney.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Good luck in the tournament!!

tmac

Looks sweet. I would definately look at a 2 inch jack plate. Range 620 tillers have these.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Quote:

Looks sweet. I would definately look at a 2 inch jack plate. Range 620 tillers have these.

Why would he need a jack plate?

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Jackplate will allow you to adjust motor height optimally for RPM’s at takeoff and bowlift at higher speeds. Not sure it is going to give you a lot in the 50mph range. I would also not recommend putting one on unless your Skeeter Dealer puts in writing it would not void your hull warranty.

tmac

It seems that speed is the reason he put the 150 on. A jack plate can fine tune your motor height and allow you to get the most speed. The jack plate basically uses the same holes as your motor so I don’t know why this would void your hull warrenty. 99.9% of all bass boats have a jackplate and I’m sure none of them got a note from the boat manufacture

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’m not sure adding a 6-8″ jackplate would be worth the hassles of needing to lengthen the tiller handle?? Meaning the handle would sit back another 4-8″, right??

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

go360…. trust me, it will likely void your warranty. Point in case a sx series skeeter bass boat cannot have a jack plate put on it or the warranty will be voided. It does not have to do with the bolt holes, it has to do with leverage and transom/stringer design. Nice call on the tiller handle not being long enough, that would suck to bolt on a jack plate and not be able to reach the handle…. If you were going to spend $400 (cost of a slidemaster manual jackplate) you should do some prop testing done and get it tweaked for a few mph to run at peak RPM of that yammie workhorse.

Sartell Eye Guy
    Sartell, MN

I have lots of hours to put on it before all the “stock” (props, hole position) tweaking is done. I don’t ever see a jack plate on it. The 150 added 64lbs (compared to the 115)back there, I don’t want to move it back any further.

If anyone wants a ride, it’ll be at Hunters after 4pm on Friday.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.