humminbird 1198 on wx1850 losing bottom?

• bls1984
    wells,mi

fixed my popping up issue with a couple washers on the pivot bolt. now the issue is my 1198 works fine in calm water at all speeds even WOT clear bottom picture. but in chop as soon as I hit a wave it says crazy numbers and rarely will find bottom again until I get off plane and nearly stop then works fine till I hit another decent wave. transducer is plenty low so I do not think that is the issue. any ideas?

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

As soon as the ducer comes out of the water and sets back in it can possibly be pinning air bubbles to itself under speed. Then when you slow down they are escaping.

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

I’m thinking a air bubble also your hull might be creating them in rough water and the transducer is getting screwed up.

Are you up to date on the updates from humminbird?

bls1984
    wells,mi

is there anything I could do about it or test it? to me it seems like something wrong with the unit not trying to find bottom? I can slow it all the way down to 15 and it still wont grab till I stop then can go again and it will read at WOT if its calm

bls1984
    wells,mi

its new from humminbird 3 weeks ago so I am assuming it is up to date

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

It looks like its mounted just left of a strake(rib). That could possibly be directing air bubbles right over you ducer once you get in rough water and the boat starts getting air underneath from chopping through the waves.

Make sure you don’t have it mounted completely horizontal front to back as well. It should be visibly tail down just a touch. This will cause less cavitation around itself and clean water forced against the face (bottom). I would try this first.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

Make sure you don’t have it mounted completely horizontal front to back as well. It should be visibly tail down just a touch. This will cause less cavitation around itself and clean water forced against the face (bottom). I would try this first.

X2

I have 2 transducers on my 798 Side Imaging. I have a high speed transducer which is mounted as quoted above and the regular SI transducer I don’t have any problems reading bottom at speed

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

I had a hard time finding a good spot to mount my transducer on my old ranger.
    After looking at your pic it might not be in a good spot.

Below is a copy from the install directions you got with the transducer.

1. Locating the Transducer Mounting Position
    Turbulence: You must first determine the best location on the transom to install the transducer. It is very important to locate the transducer in an area which is relatively free of turbulent water. Consider the following to find the best location with the least amount of turbulence:
    • As the boat moves through the water, turbulence is generated by the weight of the boat and the thrust of the propeller(s) – either clockwise or counter-clockwise. This turbulent water is normally confined to areas immediately aft of ribs, strakes or rows of rivets on the bottom of the boat, and in the immediate area of the propeller(s). Clockwise propellers create more turbulence on the port side. On outboard or inboard/outboard boats, it is best to locate the transducer at least 15″ to the side of the propeller(s).
    • The best way to locate turbulence-free water is to view the transom while the boat is moving. This method is recommended if maximum high-speed operation is a high priority. If this is not possible, select a location on the transom where the hull forward of this location is smooth, flat and free of protrusions or ribs.

bls1984
    wells,mi

there is not really a flat spot anywhere? maybe that is why the dealer mounted it so low? can I get a diff mount to not allow it to flip up and lower it or get a high speed transducer and put that there?

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

Well if the dealer installed it I would ask them to fix the problem under warranty.

reddog

check you PM,.

I don’t know if I told you this or not, but I made my own (adjustable) mount for the 1850, as I could not make the factory mount work. It involved buying a transducer shield and saver mount, and them making my own mounting blocks to get it set to the sweet spot..

bls1984
    wells,mi

its at the dealer getting a high speed transducer put on and my SI moved up above the step so hopefully that solves the problem.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.