Offshore Octane Recommended?

• skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

I was just looking at Yamaha’s website on the specs of the Offshore and it looks like one can run 89 in the 300 and 87 in the 250 and 225?

That would save a guy a little at the pump this year.

arklite881south

Rocket Fuel

Honestly I know people have different opinions on this, but I am only going to run 91 Non-Oxygen in my Yamaha 300 “Off Shore” from day one. I am NOT mechanically inclined I assure you, but from nearly every marine mechanic I’ve talked to they have strongly encouraged to run the BEST gas you can through your outboards. They have told me it will not only increase performance on a day to day basis, but help prevent gas related problems in your “Pride and Joy”. I am with you 100% on saving a few bucks at the pump I assure you, but I’ve dropped bundles at the shop on past motors. Beyond that I will be utilizing “Ring Free” and also some Sea Foam this year. Ring free with every fill-up and Sea Foam with every other Gas-up.

I have to admit my Motor is my “Lifeblood” of my guide service. This might be a bit overkill, but I’m airing on the side of caution with “SHO TIME” We’re GOING PLACES BABY!!

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Yeah I hear you Chris on running 91 non oxy. Thats what I have always ran in my boats and toys. Ring Free is also a great product and used in the last boat.

I also use Sea Foam in everything I own but I know of a few people and one being my friend who works at Yamaha said dont use it in the boats. I normally use Stabile Marine or Star Brite fuel stabilizer. The Star Brite is a great product.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Yeah I hear you Chris on running 91 non oxy. Thats what I have always ran in my boats and toys. Ring Free is also a great product and used in the last boat.

I also use Sea Foam in everything I own but I know of a few people and one being my friend who works at Yamaha said dont use it in the boats. I normally use Stabile Marine or Star Brite fuel stabilizer. The Star Brite is a great product.

26 GPH with that big 300 Off Shore and running 91 oxy? Ouch.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Quote:

Honestly I know people have different opinions on this, but I am only going to run 91 Non-Oxygen in my Yamaha 300 “Off Shore” from day one.

X2 here as well. Call me old school,but a “ounce of prevention” is more than worth a “pound of cure” in my opinion.

arklite881south

Quote:

Quote:

26 GPH with that big 300 Off Shore and running 91 oxy? Ouch.

I’m interested in my fuel economy comparing last years F250 to this years 300 “Off Shore”. Again I seldom run wide open unless there is a weather emergency……..Or Racing Andy. Usually I run 40-45 Mph. Again I am going to keep close eye on what I’m burning for gas. What I will say is that I do know I get better gas mileage in my vehicles with a higher octane gas. I would presume this might transfer over to this Yamaha 300 “Off Shore” beyond the cleaner burning arguably better for the motor. Still as I stated clearly before…….To each their own on this. I also run 91 Non-Oxygenated gas in my augers, lawn mower, snowmobiles……

greg_r
    Woodbury MN

Chris, Just got back from a Scheel’s gig in Chamberlin SD and got some breakin time on my green 300 Offshore. Took her for a little spin for 141 miles during the week and topped her off with 24 gal of 91 oct after the trip. so figuring 5.875 mpg on a 300 rocket motor at varing speeds is a in my book. I”ll have some prop stats posted shortly after my 10 hr breakin and we can run it hard.
    Greg R

http://www.walleyeadventures.com

arklite881south

Quote:

Chris, Just got back from a Scheel’s gig in Chamberlin SD and got some breakin time on my green 300 Offshore. Took her for a little spin for 141 miles during the week and topped her off with 24 gal of 91 oct after the trip. so figuring 5.875 mpg on a 300 rocket motor at varing speeds is a in my book. I”ll have some prop stats posted shortly after my 10 hr breakin and we can run it hard.
    Greg R

http://www.walleyeadventures.com

Those are very impressive numbers Greg!! I too will be keeping track of my gas mileage starting Friday. I also will be in my 10 hour break in period. 24 gallons of use after covering 141 miles is darn right impressive Greg in 21 feet of Glass!! Let me put this into perspective on a mid-summer guide trip. If I run 40 miles per day roundtrip I would have burned roughly 8 gallons of gas a day………..WHOA!! I assure you that would be FAR beyond what I would have guessed!!!

Thanks for the update Greg!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.