Skeeter WX landing tips

• Matthew Sandys

All this nice weather has me dreaming of being in a boat—my new to me Skeeter WX 1910, which I got late this fall.

I suck at landing it on the trailer, I had all my other boats dialed in and figured out quickly. This one is kicking my butt to get the right spot to land it. Any tips, tricks, or advice from the Skeeter pros?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Pictures are required of any new boat purchase by an IDO member…that’s in the bylaws.

Congrats on the boat and I’m sure in no time you will have it figured out.

I don’t have a Skeeter, but I run a Tuffy fiberglass boat on a bunk trailer which may have similarities. Generally with bunk trailers it’s all about the depth you back the trailer in. You can find that landmark on your trailer through trial and error and reapply the same concept at any launch unless the angle is considerably different.

I am a big fan of idling the boat onto the trailer and then letting it “settle” into the center spot for a second or two, and then with the slightest bump of the throttle nudging it to within a foot of its final resting spot that I can crank snug when hooking up the strap and safety chain. If it takes more than a slight bit of throttle, you can back in deeper. If you idle onto the trailer and find that you’re relatively close to the winch post when you feel the bunks contact the boat…your trailer is too deep. Another likely case that your trailer is too deep is that the boat is crooked when you pull out. If done correctly, the bunks pretty much hold mine within 3/4″ of center one way or the other at most. It’d be pretty tough to actually load it crooked.

I’d say 90% of bunk trailer landing issues are because people back in too far.

Musky Ed

It changes by the angle of the ramp, but on my last three Skeeter walleye boats, on an average ramp you can figure backing in till apx 1/4 to 1/3 of the top of the fender is out of the water. This has been on a MX2040, and two WX2200’s. You back in more than that to start and you’re asking to have the boat crooked on the trailer.
    Also I might add, on my 2200’s, I added a 2 speed winch. Even my WX2200’s winch up like they were a 16′ boat on a roller trailer.
    Some use the Dorato and just drive on till it clips. Thats great till you end up at a no power load launch, then it sucks.

grizzly
    nebraska

a inch of the trailer fender out of the water has worked well on my last 3 boats. a 2060,2190 and my 208 warrior good luck

JoeMX1825
    MN

3″ of the front bunks still out of the water is how my MX1825 loads properly on the single place trailer…but your best bet is to call the guys at The Boat Center, they’ve been loading/unloading Skeeter’s forever in probably every type of landing possible…

Ripjiggen

Good advice above. I own a Ranger and not a skeeter but be mindful of that top roller in front not catching the over hanging trolling motor when launching. I learned the hard way with my first one.

Once you figure it out and get the hang of it you will never want a roller trailer again.

Matthew Sandys

Sorry, for not posting pictures the first time.
    I will have to try the different depths of fenders.
    I know there is a learning curve, I don’t want to power load feet as I like to line up and then crank a few times after placing it on the trailer. I will have to go to a landing and try it till I get it right.

Thanks

Attachments:
    1. Resized_1694648268822_185049530920449.jpeg

2. 20230926_180007-1-scaled.jpg

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Nice looking rig.

Ripjiggen

I don’t know why but I pictured you looking different. whistling
    Nice rig

grizzly
    nebraska

Sorry, for not posting pictures the first time.
    I will have to try the different depths of fenders.
    I know there is a learning curve, I don’t want to power load feet as I like to line up and then crank a few times after placing it on the trailer. I will have to go to a landing and try it till I get it right.

Thanks

[/quote spray some silicone spray on the bunks every 2-3 weeks and you wont believe how easy the boat sides on the bunks

snelson223
    Austin MN

I like to back it up and get the bunks wet and then pull forward till you can see some of the fender.

Musky Ed

If that is where you back the trailer in to, you need to back in more. By the picture you posted, you have apx 1/4 of the top of the fender submerged. It should be backed in more so that apx 3/4 of the top of the fender is submerged.
    And yes I also forgot to mention backing further in at first to wet all the bunks, then pull out till apx 3/4 of the top of the fender is submerged.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Good advice above. I own a Ranger and not a skeeter but be mindful of that top roller in front not catching the over hanging trolling motor when launching. I learned the hard way with my first one.

Once you figure it out and get the hang of it you will never want a roller trailer again.

curious what you did to remedy the roller situation?

Ripjiggen

^^^learned where the right backing in point was.

Matthew Sandys

My wife was the first one to drive the new boat, she is a lot easier on the eyes than I. I backed her in and let her do the honors. After spending all that money, it was the least I could do. She does a great job at the landing when we take the kids out.

Ripjiggen

I will add when backing in when practicing watch the back und of the boat. When you start to see it float start making small adjustments from there. If you can bring someone with and do it a few times I’m sure you will get the hang of it.
    Take note of water depth line in fender and when boat is off on the front tip of bunks.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Rip I have a new to-me Ranger as of last year. I can load it fine but launching I have hit the trolling motor on the front roller as you mention.

This tells me maybe I’ve backed it in too far, thus the bow drops. But if I don’t then it will not come off the bunks.

Only thing I could figure out towards the end of last year was pull the locking pin on the trolling motor and slide the motor back. But I’d rather not have to do that.

It’s either that or try the silicone spray.

Any thoughts?

Ripjiggen

Yeah your backing in to far. What make and year. It happened on my 619 a couple times on steep ramps. It has not happened on my on my 620 (different hull) at same ramp. I have never tried silicone.
    I thought about replacing that roller but never did.
    It was more the truck driver going to fast than anything.
    Never happened when I was driving.

Musky Ed

Lindy, just get a slider mount for the trolling mtr. The Skeeters come with them. Really simple on the water, just pull one pin on the side and slide it out. Easy peazy. Saves room in the garage also.

lindyrig79

Yeah your backing in to far. What make and year. It happened on my 619 a couple times on steep ramps. It has not happened on my on my 620 (different hull) at same ramp. I have never tried silicone.
    I thought about replacing that roller but never did.
    It was more the truck driver going to fast than anything.
    Never happened when I was driving.

It’s a Reata 1850 and 2014. Single axle Ranger Trail trailer. The ramp I use most is pretty steep, but it will not come off the bunks until the whole boat is pretty much floating and then the bow drops down.

lindyrig79

Lindy, just get a slider mount for the trolling mtr. The Skeeters come with them. Really simple on the water, just pull one pin on the side and slide it out. Easy peazy. Saves room in the garage also.

I may just end up doing that Ed. It’s actually already somewhat on a sliding mount. Has two spots for the pin to go. But normally I use a pad lock because the boat gets left up north. And I have to undo the TM stabilizer each time too. Not the end of the world just a couple extra steps.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

I had a Skeeter 1880 a number of years ago. I had the trolling motor hang up a time or 2. I found the best remedy (if I was with someone) is to have one of us in the boat, back in at a pretty good clip and hit the brakes when the trailer was in the water. It slid the boat back far enough that the trolling motor was never an issue anymore.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.