Skeeter MX 1825

• nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Standard boat weight off website is 2075#. Assuming that’s without motor? Either way, add your gear,fuel, batteries, TM, etc. That’s a heavy load.

There’s a difference between being able to tow it, and towing it well. I’d imagine the explorer would be able to tow it, but maybe not ideally, and not for the long term.

What size engine is the your Explorer.

FYI I’m no expert, just adding in wave

Edit:200hp yammie is 490#

Zach H

I tow mine with a F-150 and I don’t think I would want to tow it with anything smaller. It’s quite a bit of weight to not only tow around, but you also have to take in the fact that you have to stop the weight too. Especially if you have to make a sudden stop due to something jumping out in front of you, I look at it being a safety issue.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I see it all too often. These passenger vehicles that come with a hitch have large boats in tow… Not safe. It’ll get it to the landing; but your underweight and underpowered.

pale ryder
    NULL

Will a Ford Explorer tow this boat?

The max towing with a Explorer is 5000 lbs, a MX 1825 boat motor and trailer weighs between 3500 and 4500 lbs. So yes you can tow a MX 1825.
    Being that close to the max towing rating, I recommend keeping the speed resoable and a good distance between you and the car in front of you.

FryDog62

Skeeters are one of the heaviest hulls made. A Tuffy 1760 will be almost half the hull weight (2100 lbs vs. 1200 lbs) and would be fine with that Explorer.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

It’s a 4.0 liter V6.

It would help to know what year/model Explorer we’re talking about. Since it has a 4.0 V6, it’s obviously pre-2011.

HRG

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

The max towing with a Explorer is 5000 lbs, a MX 1825 boat motor and trailer weighs between 3500 and 4500 lbs. So yes you can tow a MX 1825.

I believe the max is 3500#, and with the optional tow package is 5000#. Not sure, but something to look into.

Especially on those V6 SUVs I’d look into the class hitch you have to make sure you are good. Sometimes they are aftermarket and people just go the cheap route, leaving you in a possible mess.

pale ryder
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>pale ryder wrote:</div>

I believe the max is 3500#, and with the optional tow package is 5000#. Not sure, but something to look into.

Especially on those V6 SUVs I’d look into the class hitch you have to make sure you are good. Sometimes they are aftermarket and people just go the cheap route, leaving you in a possible mess.

Good point !
    No one should ever tow more than the maximum weight rating of the lowest rated component. Whether that is the vehicle, the hitch, or the ball/mount.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

I just don’t want it to work extremely hard.

When did this conversation start talking about the French?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Andy wrote:</div>
    I just don’t want it to work extremelysomewhat hard whatsoever.

When did this conversation start talking about the French?

Fixed it for ya.

Greek version….

I just don’t want it to work extremely hard.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I tow my MX1825 a total of 250 miles a season (to/from the cabin to winter storage) with a V6 Toyota Highlander (max 5k towing capacity) If I towed it more often I would look to get a larger vehicle with a V8. Of course a bigger tow vehicle is better, but just stay out of the fast lane and take your time, you’ll be fine. I also unload any heavy boat gear and have a near empty gas tank just to make the ride a little easier…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.