Silverado starter

• Gitchi Gummi

I’ve got a 2018 Silverado that’s starter crapped out [again]. I bought the truck last year with ~30k miles on it, starter stopped working on day #3 of owning it. Replaced and covered under warranty, but a major pain in the butt when the ink on the purchase agreement hasn’t even dried yet.

Fast forward to this weekend and about ~15k miles later, the starter crapped out again. I know it’s a common problem with these trucks according to some Google searches.

Do I put in another OEM starter? Or do I go with something different? Any advice on what after market starter to use would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Check the ground or hot at the starter, I’ve heard some were bad there’s a tsb out there on this issue

Gitchi Gummi

Thanks KPE. I think I found the tsb. By checking that the battery cable isn’t contacting the heat shield and shorting out as a result, is that how I eliminate that as the culprit?

I was able to get my truck started tonight by tapping the starter with a wrench, and the starter made a weird sound but started up anyways. Would the fact the wrench tap started it mean it’s not the wiring issue mentioned in the tsb?

mnmarlin

That’s interesting, I’ve had a bunch of Chevy trucks and of all the issues I’ve had with them I’ve haven’t had to replace a starter since my ’82 C-10. Not implying anything, I just find it interesting. I’ve replaced alot of other parts but no starters in 30 years.

Gitchi Gummi

That’s interesting, I’ve had a bunch of Chevy trucks and of all the issues I’ve had with them I’ve haven’t had to replace a starter since my ’82 C-10. Not implying anything, I just find it interesting. I’ve replaced alot of other parts but no starters in 30 years.

If you research it, it’s a known problem on this generation of silverados. Something with a bad seal and moisture getting in. Not sure if it’s a coincidence that both times my starter crapped out, it was right after driving thru big rain storms. I’ll also add the first one was repaired by a Chevy dealer with an OEM part, or so I was told.

I agree with you tho, a starter shouldn’t be a common repair. My 08 f150 went over 200k without a starter. This Chevy went thru 2 before 50k.

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

I have a 2017 Silverado with the same issues and an E-mail from Chevy says to have the starter replaced. After doing some research and replacing the 4 year old battery, a mechanic and the Interstate battery guy told us the issue was not driving it far enough weekly as it will not charge the battery enough which makes it seem like a starter issue. My wife only drives it like 5 miles each way back and forth to work, now we take it once a week for a longer ride and haven’t had a problem.

JEREMY
    BP

I just looked we have sold 11 of those starters in the last year which aint many for the volume of trucks that go through here. Not one of which came back for warranty. The tsb says loose positive cable at starter.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I was able to get my truck started tonight by tapping the starter with a wrench, and the starter made a weird sound but started up anyways. Would the fact the wrench tap started it mean it’s not the wiring issue mentioned in the tsb?

You proved you need a starter by hitting it with the wrench. It is an approved method of diagnostics in the industry. toast

matt

Had a starter on a Ford that needed a rap from a hammer now and then.It went many miles in between hammering and starter was easy to install so I carried a spare from the junkyard with me for a few years.Truck went to the junkyard with the spare starter never installed

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.