Silverado blinker issue

• Gitchi Gummi

2018 Silverado. Right rear turn signal has failed several times. A few months ago, I replaced the bulb and it subsequently worked. Noticed a little corrosion where the bulb seats into the harness, so I cleaned it the best I could with a brush. Fast forward a couple months, same issue. Blinker works intermittently. It will work for a while and then start doing the rapid flash and give me the error message on the dash. Sometimes it works for like 3-5 blinks and then starts rapid blinking. Sometimes it works for the whole drive.

This weekend I again replaced bulb and tried to get the corrosion out with a wire brush. Still not working. Would dielectric grease help? Any other cleaner I can spray in there to combat the corrosion?

I’ve read some of the silverados take the 7444 bulb while others take 7443. Google told me 7444 and that’s what I replaced with because that’s what was in there originally but maybe I’ll try throwing in a 7443. Fuse is good, factory lights. I’m running out of ideas.

Stanley

Could be the wire harness for the light. Sometimes the bulb sockets look like they are corroded but it could be the bulbs get hot and melt the socket or burn the contacts. The wire harness is easy to replace there is one for each light and they go to a junction box on the left(drivers) side of the frame just behind the bumper.

Coletrain27

clean it up really good and you can spray it out with electrical cleaner or alot of times i just use brake cleaner on the stuff and let it try then apply dielectric grease on it. anytime i change any bulb i grease it. if that doesnt solve it then replace the socket like stanley said

27eyeguy

My 17 Silverado had same issue, same problems. Replaced the harness, was fairly simple. Sucks that is an issue on these newer trucks.

CaptainMusky

Yep I’d replace the harness. Never had that problem with mine but with everything you’d try that’s what I’d do.

Gitchi Gummi

Thanks guys I appreciate the help.

My 17 Silverado had same issue, same problems. Replaced the harness, was fairly simple. Sucks that is an issue on these newer trucks.

Did yours have corrosion also? Google research tells me it’s a pretty common problem on this vintage of Silverado’s.

Can you help me out with the part number for the harness? I’m having a hard time finding it on rock auto. Mine is the 5.3.

Riverruns

May not be what you wanted to hear, but the obvious is too check the blinker fluid.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

May not be what you wanted to hear, but the obvious is too check the blinker fluid.

I was going to state the obvious too:

Ditch the underwhelming Silverado with the 5.3 and upgrade to either a Ram or F150 as better options for a half ton coffee

Coletrain27

Ditch the underwhelming Silverado with the 5.3 and upgrade to either a Ram or F150 as better options for a half ton coffee

classic IDO solution…. buy a new truck because the blinker dont work hah

Gitchi Gummi

LOL. For what it’s worth, I’ll be getting rid of this truck within the next year and my current plan is to go Ram. I feel like my current rig is a ticking time bomb with the tranny.

27eyeguy

Yes, mine had corrosion, more than expected for a truck that spent first few years as a tar baby. 2 buddies had same issues with a 14 n 16 Silverado, but we use our trucks a bit harder than most. I just popped the taillight out and got the part number right off the harness, should be a tag on it. If you can’t find it let me know and I’ll look at mine.

27eyeguy

Should also mention that I ordered both sides, kinda figured both would need it and they did. I reused all my bulbs and greased everything good as the replacements and originals appear to lack any sort of grease.

JEREMY
    BP

#23295977 Go to the closest dealer and buy one. Everyone will have it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.