Sight Fishing Walleye + Rod Breaking Fight

• Tomasz Burlaga

Can’t believe I got this on video. The walleyes on God’s River have a really nice and deep gold colour and fight hard since they are in the fast currents all the time. In this video, a walleye is free swimming in the river and hits my small 2-inch brook trout spoon very close to shore. in the second part of the video, I am fishing 3-mile rapids and trying to get some big brookies while this walleye had other plans and took me in the fast currents and broke my rod.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Here we go again

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Should I click on it or not? I’m so torn. I’m just afraid if I do I’ll regret it. Hmmmm.

Hmmm isn’t an acronym btw…

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Should I click on it or not? I’m so torn. I’m just afraid if I do I’ll regret it. Hmmmm.

Hmmm isn’t an acronym btw…

If you go to his user profile and click on the “Activity” tab, you will see most all of his posts start with a link to his YouTube channel.

Some like these posts, other see them as clickbait…. coffee

-J.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Ok, just watched the vid. Not a big fan of fish eye lenses, but pretty cool. Like the first release underwater shot.

I noticed multiple times you horsing the fish in and grabbing the rod above the reel. Death sentence for your rods in my opinion. Looked like the rod snapped right as you grabbed the rod shaft that last time. Need to resist that temptation. That or make sure you have good warranty!

-J.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Cool video Tomasz! I’d second what Jon said. And maybe order up a TUCR, JT or St. Croix replacement.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I agree, cool video. Looks like some sort of collapsible rod.

Beautiful area-what river is it?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I’m assuming it’s for the brookies you need such a weak rod? Seems way underpowered for current conditions, not suprised it snapped after the first fish.

Beautiful backdrop though. Waters look pristine.

Tomasz Burlaga

Ok, just watched the vid. Not a big fan of fish eye lenses, but pretty cool. Like the first release underwater shot.

I noticed multiple times you horsing the fish in and grabbing the rod above the reel. Death sentence for your rods in my opinion. Looked like the rod snapped right as you grabbed the rod shaft that last time. Need to resist that temptation. That or make sure you have good warranty!

-J.

Thanks, I did horse that fish way too much and its a lighter rod (telescopic and folds to fit in any backpack) combined with the current and myself pulling above the reel did it. I was worried that the fish would catch the current and really take me far down river. I fix my rods myself so Im just ordering the replacement blank and glue the guides back in. I would use a normal rod except this place Gods river is a fly in only place and there is not much room on the float planes and the guest gear is a priority so a backpack rod has to do. Also I want to say that Im sorry if I offend anyone with my posts I just like to share them for anyone who wants to see them and what better way then a fishing site. If they are bad let me know.

Tomasz Burlaga

I agree, cool video. Looks like some sort of collapsible rod.

Beautiful area-what river is it?

God’s River in Manitoba.

I’m assuming it’s for the brookies you need such a weak rod? Seems way underpowered for current conditions, not suprised it snapped after the first fish.

Beautiful backdrop though. Waters look pristine.

yeah, it’s a perfect rod that has handled probably over 50 to 60 brookies over 2 seasons, about 15 of them being around 20 to 24 inches. That river is very fast and from shore, I mostly walk down current with the fish or when in a boat its best to float down with the fish, however, I was alone in the second scene and it was super shallow there so not an option. I am working on a video of some brook trout I caught over this summer from this river and should be out in a few weeks. http://dam.de/en/shop/rods/tele-rods/dam-shadow-tele-mini-spin-2/ this is the exact rod I use and I said why in the previous response. ^^

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Keep the videos coming….I don’t have any issues with it. Some people come on the site just to promote their YouTube channels. Doesn’t seem like you are doing that so keep it up.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.