Shotshell Reloading

• Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Been kicking around the idea of getting into loading 12ga target loads mostly. Maybe some pheasant loads/ Duck loads for buddy’s if they cant find them. Anyone here do it? Is it worth the investment or is it better to just buy now that target loads seem to be on shelves? I do handload for rifles and that certainly has been worth it. I am guessing 12ga might not make sense.

Thanks!

Tom schmitt

I reload for target shooting only. I have never seen the advantage to try and improve on the quality of the offerings from the factory.
    The only cost savings in reloading comes from loading less shot. Lead is the highest cost involved that can be reduced to make the biggest difference.
    Store bought target loads are almost always 1-1/8 oz or 1 oz whereas I can load 3/4 or 7/8 oz for skeet and save money. I can also reduce recoil for target loads, where I am shooting a lot in a short time period.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I reload for target shooting only. I have never seen the advantage to try and improve on the quality of the offerings from the factory.
    The only cost savings in reloading comes from loading less shot. Lead is the highest cost involved that can be reduced to make the biggest difference.
    Store bought target loads are almost always 1-1/8 oz or 1 oz whereas I can load 3/4 or 7/8 oz for skeet and save money. I can also reduce recoil for target loads, where I am shooting a lot in a short time period.

This makes sense for sure. Do you ever feel when you miss it could be do to having less shot in your pattern?

Walleyeguy34

It’s a fun hobby to do on the side but I wouldn’t expect to save any money by doing it. If your shoot a lot of trap then I’d say it’s worth it but again, don’t expect any cost savings. The increased price of ammo has also increased prices of shotshell reloading components and equipment.

Jimmy Jones

It’s a fun hobby to do on the side but I wouldn’t expect to save any money by doing it. If your shoot a lot of trap then I’d say it’s worth it but again, don’t expect any cost savings. The increased price of ammo has also increased prices of shotshell reloading components and equipment.

All of this, plus if you shoot regulation trap on a team you’ll likely need to purchase the shells at the club you’re shooting at. Reloads are fine for practice rounds, but regulation shooting carries different rules on the shells. Or at least that was the case 50 years ago.

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

If you decide to get into it, I have a 12ga mec Jr Reloader and a bunch of supplies minus powder, I’d be willing to sell ya. Also have a 20ga mec jr.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

This makes sense for sure. Do you ever feel when you miss it could be do to having less shot in your pattern?
    [/quote]

Doing a pattern at distance will be the best way to answer that.
    Different chokes and guns will have different results.

Generally people miss by feet not inches, checking pattern density will help to realize that. However, if you ever pick up used clays there are a few with BB holes that did not break.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Been kicking around the idea of getting into loading 12ga target loads mostly. Maybe some pheasant loads/ Duck loads for buddy’s if they cant find them. Anyone here do it? Is it worth the investment or is it better to just buy now that target loads seem to be on shelves?

I have looked at it several times and as you know, I already reload rifle and handgun ammo and have done so since I was a teenager.

Even though I have been twice offered a reloading press for free, I couldn’t make either the economics or the hassle factor worth it either time. The cost of the components was so close to the cost of finished ammo and in some cases was even more than the cost of buying off the shelf.

Even with the current price of trap/clay target loads being $9-10 a box, look at the price of lead target shot right now. Add the powder and the primer and see where you come out now. I haven’t done the math for years now, but last I did it even figuring $6 a box for target loads, I was coming out at almost $5 a box in components not including equipment. A lot of hassle for $1 to $1.50 a box was my conclusion. I doubt there is that much savings in it nowadays with the price of lead and components.

In the world of shotgun loads, there is not much ground that is not very well covered by factory loads. Keep in mind with specialty loads like pheasant loads, you may only shoot a box or so a year but you still have to buy the shot in bulk, so you end up with a lot of shot sitting around if you want to load this kind of specialty load.

Another factor is I don’t have unlimited workshop space for reloading and I already have a large bench setup for rifle reloading and component storage. If you have a lot of space, that may make it easier to decide to go ahead.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Carter Johnson wrote:</div>
    Been kicking around the idea of getting into loading 12ga target loads mostly. Maybe some pheasant loads/ Duck loads for buddy’s if they cant find them. Anyone here do it? Is it worth the investment or is it better to just buy now that target loads seem to be on shelves?

I have looked at it several times and as you know, I already reload rifle and handgun ammo and have done so since I was a teenager.

Even though I have been twice offered a reloading press for free, I couldn’t make either the economics or the hassle factor worth it either time. The cost of the components was so close to the cost of finished ammo and in some cases was even more than the cost of buying off the shelf.

Even with the current price of trap/clay target loads being $9-10 a box, look at the price of lead target shot right now. Add the powder and the primer and see where you come out now. I haven’t done the math for years now, but last I did it even figuring $6 a box for target loads, I was coming out at almost $5 a box in components not including equipment. A lot of hassle for $1 to $1.50 a box was my conclusion. I doubt there is that much savings in it nowadays with the price of lead and components.

In the world of shotgun loads, there is not much ground that is not very well covered by factory loads. Keep in mind with specialty loads like pheasant loads, you may only shoot a box or so a year but you still have to buy the shot in bulk, so you end up with a lot of shot sitting around if you want to load this kind of specialty load.

Another factor is I don’t have unlimited workshop space for reloading and I already have a large bench setup for rifle reloading and component storage. If you have a lot of space, that may make it easier to decide to go ahead.

I appreciate the input. The cost savings was where I was hoping to come out ahead on. I have a decent group of family that is looking to shoot more trap/skeet. Was thinking it could be a decent way to shoot more for less. I will dig more into what the total cost per box would be and see if it makes sense at todays prices. It also does have an appeal as theres no brass work peace

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

It also does have an appeal as theres no brass work

Shotshell hulls aren’t what they used to be though. I know several guys at the club have commented that the lower-quality hulls now mean they have to check each hull every time and double-check after loading. It used to be high-quality hulls were good for many reloadings, but now they are made to be disposable so how many loadings they last from what I’m hearing is highly variable.

A better route to savings might be to get in ou a group buy like some gun clubs do. This wasn’t a think for the past 4 years, but now it’s coming back at many clubs.

I did the group buy last year and managed to get around $8.30 a box. I don’t have a final price this year but hopefully it will be the same.

Tom schmitt

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tom schmitt wrote:</div>

I’m sure I have missed a few that I would have hit with more shot, but with a bad shoulder, I know I have shot better with less shot and reduced recoil.
    As was stated above, misses are usually missed by feet not inches.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Just pulling together a 1 1/8 ounce load based on green dot. 12.6 cents per round for powder, .06 per primer, .03 per wad, .16 per 1 1/8 ounce of 7.5 shot. Not even factoring hulls you’re already at 9.40 a box. Hopefully components come down soon now that ammo is on shelves. I was really not excepting it to be that bad.

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

only place I see shotshell reloading saving money is if you plan to load 16 gauge, 28 gauge, or .410

ajw

Not mentioned here is being able to make your own during a shortage or if (when) buying ammo will require a background check or other overreach.

Being self sufficient is never a bad thing

Plus it’s a fun hobby and is pretty satisfying to hunt with ammo you created yourself

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I reload so I can get the load I prefer for my gun, my wife’s gun does not like my loads so she shoots factory shells. I used to shoot quite a bit, 5-6000 rounds a year and my cost to load at the time was about $1.50 when a flat was about $30-35. I have 2 progressive loaders with one setup for 16 and the other for 27. Even if the cost was break even I would still do it so I can use my own recipe.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

What makes it work for me is years ago when I shot a lot of trap I kept a lot of supplies on hand. Since quitting trap years ago I still have a bunch of powder 18 lbs, 2000 wads, 7 bags of shot around a 1,000 empty shells, only thing have to buy is primers. I smile any time I have to reload 12 gauge hoarding some times pays off.

Back when you could not find powder I could still reload for my pistols using my Winchester AA, a little dirty to shoot.

TH

When I was high school aged, my brother and I picked up used wads and washed them in an old pillow case. We reloaded them and they worked just fine. It was our way to save a bit on ammo. You get pretty good at identifying the wads you need pretty quickly. Not sure today as there’s knock off brand wads and cheap loads. In the day it was all AA Winchester ammo.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.