Shore flathead fishing

• Dan

Hey guys pretty new here. Tomorrow me and a buddy want to go out and try for flatheads from shore but it would be our first time fishing for them so I have almost no idea where to go! I’m from the twin cities area and wouldn’t mind driving up to and hour and some change for some flatties. I’m not asking for anyone’s secret spot or anything, just some tips on where to look for shore fishing spots.

catmando
    wis

Osceola boat landing on the St Croix River .follow the peninsula all the way to the point. Fish the current edge,don’t fish in the backwater, thats turtle water, might be someone there maybe not. 50lbs ers have been caught there, DK. Ps, it’s no secret.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Osceola boat landing on the St Croix River .follow the peninsula all the way to the point. Fish the current edge,don’t fish in the backwater, thats turtle water, might be someone there maybe not. 50lbs ers have been caught there, DK. Ps, it’s no secret.

Very much not a secret but it is a spot that produces year in and year out. Ps. Don’t rule out that back water. Just watch for activity.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Pool 2 (Mississippi River though downtown)

Off the downstream side of Navy Island. (The park dnder the Wabasha Street Bridge)

Under the Smith Ave High Bridge on the west side of the river. (Just past Harriat Island park.)

At the Lillydale boat access.

Soak a large sucker minnow on bottom with a 3 oz no roll sinker.

Good Luck.

-J.

catmando
    wis

Dead end backwater with no depth or current, I would pass on it unless you like to give your bait to gar and turtles, now if you have current and wood, plus some depth, in the backwater you got catfish. Now in high water, the fish can be in the backwater. My 2 cents DK.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.