Shore Fishing Cancun

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The wife and I are headed to Cancun on Sunday and am just looking for some tips for shore fishing.

I bought a Saltiga spinning rod for this trip and will bring another 2 pc med action spinning rod for smaller fish. I’ve got the rod, reels and line covered.

What I’m looking for is lure and location recommendations. I’ve got a few swim baits and some yo-zuri crankbaits packed up. What else should I bring? Topwater?

Where should I fish? Should I just stay on the resort beach or should I head somewhere? We will be in the El Rey area of the hotel zone at the Live Aqua Resort (looks like there’s a giant mall across the street). I am not sure if the hotel has kayaks as I’m under the impression they get the beach is usually really windy and am somewhat doubtful they want people venturing out on kayaks in the wind.

Is it possible to fish in the lagoon? Can you rent kayaks somewhere and fish the lagoon? Don’t need a fishing license if you fish from a kayak?

I may consider a light tackle charter but as of right now I’m not planning on it.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

If I was you, I would focus more on the lagoon side. I doubt you will find yourself very popular fishing the main beach of the resort strip. Most of those resorts launch excursions and such from the beach and I would be shocked if they would allow you to fish there. That said, if you can find a rocky outcrop along there somewhere you might have a better chance of being left alone.

Lagoon side has lots of mangroves and boat docks to pitch your swim baits and crank baits. Top water could be fun back in there too. It has been 4-5 years since we have been down there, so no recent help, but I always pack a rod when we travel.

Let us know how you do!

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Fishing license needed down there?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Fishing license needed down there?

Everything I’ve read is that shore fishing doesn’t need a license. I do wonder about fishing from a kayak though.

Riverrat

Looking at google earth there’s a second mall a little to the north that has shoreline on the lagoon might be fishable from shore. Right next to the lego store and a taqueria.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Looking at google earth there’s a second mall a little to the north that has shoreline on the lagoon might be fishable from shore. Right next to the lego store and a taqueria.

Thanks for the tip. I’ve never been there before so I’m nervous just walking up to a dock and start casting. Not sure if I’ll get in trouble for trespassing or breaking any rules.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Your friends on Ido here will help you get extradited back to the US. toast

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Ive fished off the beach and piers in Cancun many times. Heck, there were people feeding the fish off the pier and I was catching them! Need to be careful of snorkelers. They are not so happy with stuck lures.
    No fishing license needed. Some resorts would take our fish for lunch and cook them! You need to ask before you keep them.
    An instant fish caught was a treble with a banana…
    I brought PK lure spoons and a few cranks. Wash your equipment after every use.

Keep exploring! You will find them.

Shanon

MX1825

Fished the lagoon once several years ago. Went with Cancun Tarpon Fishing. They furnished all tackle. All topwater baits. Caught lots of Barracuda. Hooked 1 Tarpon but broke off. Very reasonable for 2 guys at $300.

rmartin
    United States

Been quite a few years, but there is a river (may be tidal) that crosses the road to the old downtown area. You can go down below and bank fish. There might be locals there handlining. I caught a couple of jacks and gad one almost strip my reel before it broke off. There was some surface action also but I did not have a lure. I was using a jig with cut bait. There were jacks laying on the ground. The locals do not want them. Jacks like a fast bait. I have caught many on jig and plastic.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Doesn’t anyone have any recent charter recommendations for an inshore light tackle fishing trip?

Jason Smolarchuk

I’m in the same boat leaving 12/30 returning 1/6/2024. I have two rods and assortment of top water, jigging spoons, swim jigs and jerk baits.

Staying at Hyatt Viva on the North end of the hotel zone.

Can you share your experience on the beach or lagoon. any tips?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I wound up hiring a charter to fish inside the lagoon. Caught a few small barracuda.

I tried the beach one morning but the wind and waves were way too intense to make any meaningful casts. Never tried the lagoon side on my own.
    Our fishing guide told me that the police have been known to harass non-locals to pay a fine for fishing illegally so I never really tried.

If I go back, I’d do a charter that brings you up to Isla Blanca.

Deuces

Am I the only one who doesn’t get a hankering for fishing off in the tropics? Heading down this week and with last trips I could care less of chucking out a line, give me a mojito at a pool bar and I’m golden toast

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.