Shipping a gun back for warranty

• Charles

So?

I have a Winchester with the stupid dura touch that melted and I need to send it back for warranty work. I have the original gun box but what am supposed to actually ship it back in? I wouldn’t think shipping it back in the original red Winchester box would be a good idea, I could be wrong lol.

Or should I go to a gun shop and ask if they have any left over boxes?

Thanks,

Riverrat

Yeah ship it in an outside box or they’ll beat the crap out of it if it doesn’t get “lost”.

Gitchi Gummi

I had to ship my franchi back to the manufacturer a few years back for a faulty firing pin issue that was covered under warranty. My franchi came in a padded gun box, so I broke the gun apart (O/U break action) and put the gun back in that box with extra padding so it absolutely wouldn’t move around at all.. Then I custom made a cardboard box around the gun case using a big old amazon cardboard box that a 50 lb bag of dog food came in. So I manually cut the box and folded it around the corners of the gun case. The end result was a super padded and protected outer layer around the already padded gun box. Might have been overkill but I wanted to be extra sure it’d be safe.

Also, USPS was the only courier I found that would ship a firearm without me being an FFL. I had to sign a form that said there was no ammo and it wasn’t a handgun or certain type of gun something like that. I believe franchi shipped it back to me via speedy.

Coletrain27

my dad had to send his deer gun in a while back. im pretty sure he took his to scheels and they shipped it for him

Riverrat

Yeah if you got it from a big box store bring it back to get them to ship it for free, they usually have a relationship with the makers and can get updates for you too.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I have used brown paper bags to wrap a box like a Christmas present before and it worked good.

Alagnak1

I’d wrap it and ship it myself. Woodbury cabelas sent in my daughter’s gun for warranty repair and when I drove there to pick it up the vented rib on the barrel looked like it was hit with a hammer a few times and was crushed down to the barrel. I said there’s no way I’m taking that home it was brand new when I brought it here. Then they denied damaging it in the back room or during shipping. It was a huge run around and waste of time. Between the first repair and sending in for a new barrel she was without that one for 3 months. Then when it finally came back we sat there for well over an hour while they couldn’t find it in the back room. I already hated cabelas but it was the only place in the midwest who that that gun last year when we needed it.

Coletrain27

Yeah if you got it from a big box store bring it back to get them to ship it for free, they usually have a relationship with the makers and can get updates for you too.

my dad actually didnt even buy the gun from scheels. he bought it used from some where else

Gitchi Gummi

I’d wrap it and ship it myself. Woodbury cabelas sent in my daughter’s gun for warranty repair and when I drove there to pick it up the vented rib on the barrel looked like it was hit with a hammer a few times and was crushed down to the barrel. I said there’s no way I’m taking that home it was brand new when I brought it here. Then they denied damaging it in the back room or during shipping. It was a huge run around and waste of time. Between the first repair and sending in for a new barrel she was without that one for 3 months. Then when it finally came back we sat there for well over an hour while they couldn’t find it in the back room. I already hated cabelas but it was the only place in the midwest who that that gun last year when we needed it.

exactly my mindset. with something as expensive as a nice gun, I’d rather wrap it myself so I know its done right rather than rely on someone else and hope they did a good enough job. those package handlers are NOT gentle with any packages. if you end up with a damaged gun, I’d have a hard time believing they’re going to do anything about it.

MX1825

I don’t know about USPS but UPS won’t ship a package wrapped in brown shipping paper. It has to be a cardboard box. Don’t ask me how I know. :devil. doah

Charles

So it sounds like I have options lol, I think I am going to call around a bit and see if anybody have shipping box or I am going to create my own box.

Thanks guys!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Good timing for this post! I have to send a Henry Side Gate back in for feeding issues. They’ve sent me the UPS shipping label and the step-by-step instructions for shipping, but I think I’ll create some extra padding per the recommendations above!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.