Shiners

• Michael Best

Called 3 bait stores today.
    One said they had no idea when they one get any.
    One said by opening weekend.
    The last said they should have golden shiners by Wednesday or Thursday.

Has any one heard anything?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I asked Wayzata Bait & Tackle what the bait situation was leading up to opener and he said he said there will be issues. He did have leeches already which kinda surprised me. He said not to expect any shiners at his bait shop before opener.

Then he pointed me to the crank bait section. jester

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Talked to the guys at my local bait store and they said the DNR is backing legislation bring pushed through to allow for bait to be brought in from out of state. He said it passed the house already. Didn’t look into it beyond that conversation but I hope it’s all true

Not that this would help with opener

OG Net_Man

No shiners and no red tails but you can always buy fat heads that look more like the size of crappie minnows……….

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I was just in WI they seem to have plenty of minnows

mojo

Walleye Willie’s in Stillwater had full tanks last time I checked in. I wouldn’t be surprised if his source is to the east whistling

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I’ve been catching beautiful 3-4” creek chubs and built a bait tank , if I don’t use them opener there’s always fall

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I was just in WI they seem to have plenty of minnows

Could a guy run to a bait shop in WI and bring shiners back? Or is that a no go?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Could a guy run to a bait shop in WI and bring shiners back? Or is that a no go?

I don’t think so. Can be used on border water but you can’t bring them into MN for use on inland waters.

Deuces

Bait, fireworks, spotted cow, lots of things that go across the border without worry with this fella.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Carter Johnson wrote:</div>

I don’t think so. Can be used on border water but you can’t bring them into MN for use on inland waters.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Bait, fireworks, spotted cow, lots of things that go across the border without worry with this fella.

Not illegal to take spotted cow into Minnesota you know. Liquor stores simply can’t sell it here.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

we stocked up on Saturday in the over flow creek

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Yep, A run to the Hudson bait shop is in order Thursday.

marbleeyes24 (Larry)
    Nevis

Spoke to a local trapper. We will be lucky to have shiners for the opener up north. I guess the water is still too cold on the bigger trapping lakes.

Michael Best

Does anyone know where the trappers get golden shiners? Are they a river shiner?

Bens bait in Battle Lake has always had those.
    When I spoke to them earlier they thought they would have sone goldens by opener.
    I have used those in the past. Couldn’t tell if the fish cared or not. Caught fish on them.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Does anyone know where the trappers get golden shiners? Are they a river shiner?

Bens bait in Battle Lake has always had those.
    When I spoke to them earlier they thought they would have sone goldens by opener.
    I have used those in the past. Couldn’t tell if the fish cared or not. Caught fish on them.

Most golden shiners are from ponds or very shallow small lakes. I’ve got two ponds with goldens in them but for every ten shiners there are a hundred other minnows I don’t want.
    I’ve just started some trapping and have a good supply of rainbows for myself until other species start moving in.

Attachments:
    1. A2B939CC-62A5-4CC5-B9AF-F2E881BF90D8-scaled.jpeg

2. A63EA774-4FC2-4211-91C7-BA0F1C63AD27-scaled.jpeg

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.