Shimano Sienna/Sahara 500

• Ryan Wilson

Dickssporting goods still has these reels in 500 size. Sienna’s are $29.99 and Saraha’s are $59.99 free shipping on both.

I figured this would be my last chance to snag (no pun intended) a great reel at a good price before these are gone forever and wanted to share the info for any of you having a hard time finding any. I bought one locally last season for my TUCR Bullwhip after learning about them and of course they are being discontinued now. I just bought another one for my new TUCR Precision Noodle. The newer Sienna’s just look cheap to me compared to the old model. It has 2 fewer bearings (1+1 vs 3+1) and isn’t offered in the 500 size anymore.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

Best ice reels for the $$$. Add the carbonex drag washer and they are a dream! Sad to hear they are being discontinued. That’s a big mistake.

rickwalley

When setting up a new combo with the 500 size for strictly walleyes, do any of you find that the 500 might be a little on the small size? Especially when primarily fishing deeper in 30-45 feet ? Or does the use of a superline/braid allow enough length of line to be safe?

Tyler Warner

I just picked up another here yesterday for $28 CDN on clearance. Pretty good deal since the other one I own I paid $44 for back in the spring.

Anyone know where I can get some of these carbon drag washers in Canada? Do they really make a difference the drags seem pretty decent stock…

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

John at Tuned up custom rods usually has a bunch of them. That’s where I bought mine. I figure that would be the easiest way to get them. The other companies/ebay online where you can find them look pretty sketchy… They’re not going to catch more fish for you… but are way more smooth than the piece of felt that comes standard and give a wider range of drag to crank down on for bigger fish. Could be that extra 10% of help you need to land that fish of a lifetime. To each their own though

Tyler Warner

I will be using the Sienna 500’s for panfish that’s why I wondered if it’s a big difference.

I use my Quantum PT reels from summer rods on my walleye, pike and lake trout setups.

Tharin Benson
    NE Iowa

John at Tuned up custom rods usually has a bunch of them. That’s where I bought mine. I figure that would be the easiest way to get them.

X2 I run all sienna’s and put carbon washers in all of them. I can easily tell the difference in the drag with the carbon washers vs. the felt washers. It feels like you have more drag settings. I picked my Sienna’s up from an online army surplus store (no sure which one) for only $20/reel. The carbon washers were only about $5 a piece. It made this $25 reel perform like a $50 reel IMO. I did pair a couple with a TUCR bullwhip and quicktip, if that helps.

Praying for ICE!

Attachments:
    1. 15153045_635069455414_1601233558_o-1.jpg

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.