Shimano Sienna 500

• Bobby Kuennen

I picked up this reel yesterday in the mail after lots of suggestions and reviews. I took it out of the box and it’s not smooth at all. Hard to crank and doesn’t spin at all as soon as i let go. Did i get a lemon, do i need to just lube it up or do i need to return and look for something different?

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

All my Shimanos have spun freely right out of the box/clam package. I’d be concerned something isn’t right with the reel you received.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Those Sienna’s are pretty good reels for the money. Not sure maybe you did get a lemon. I would swap it out at a store. I think you got a lemon.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Being pretty new to Shimano myself was shocked how stiff they are. They stuff the heck out of their gears with grease. Was the reel still cold when you spun it, makes it 10x worse. Just a thought.

Bobby Kuennen

It was very cold. Got home after work and it was on my door step, brought it in and tried it. That would make sense but at the same time I’m taking it ice fishing…it’s going to be cold. It was very rough turning and didn’t spin freely at all.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I picked up this reel yesterday in the mail after lots of suggestions and reviews. I took it out of the box and it’s not smooth at all. Hard to crank and doesn’t spin at all as soon as i let go. Did i get a lemon, do i need to just lube it up or do i need to return and look for something different?

I had the same exact experience! I bought a sienna 500 from cabelas in Rodgers last week and when I screw in the little knob for the handle all the way its too tight and the spool will not spin. I plan on returning it. this reel came in sealed plastic packaging rather than the typical cardboard box. I use siennas on all my ice fishing reels so im thinking I got a dud or maybe they are just getting rid of their bad stock since they are no longer going to be producing these reels

milemark_714

Reel needs to be winterized.I have found very few new reels that pass the freezer test.Totally clean reel,and relube with hot sauce,or triflow liquid.

Sean bailey

I have a couple that I cleaned out and went with cal’s cold temp grease and some synthetic oil for the bearings. I also put carbon drags in them. Couldn’t be happier with the ones I got even in the cold.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

They dont like to turn in the cold.

FWIW I have a few other $30 range reels from Cabela’s, pflueger ice and one other and wouldn’t compare anyone to the sienna, much better reel than the rest. It is annoying it has to be completely relubed but no biggie, grab a beer or two and get er done.

hnd

the sienna is kind of junky. but still is a good reel for some applications. the 2 500’s i had failed in the cold. the bail springs are junk on them for starters and yes they aren’t very smooth. i have 2 1000’s that i use for shore fishing and they seem to work better in that application.

Mark Rasmussen

I use my sienna’s strictly for ice fishing – mainly pannies. I’ve upgraded the drags to carbon fiber with a little cal’s grease and I clean them and relube with hot sauce oil. I then test them overnight in the freezer to make sure they stay silky smooth. Work great. All my ice reels get this treatment… I’ve tried grease on the gears but they still tend to get a little sticky in the freezer. The one or two reels that do double duty (open water and ice) will then get cleaned out and regreased for the summer. No complaints on my end.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago, I bought mine at fleetfarm and took it back the next day and exchanged it but before I left i went to customer service and had them take it out of the package then I put the handle on worked fine, they musta had a bad batch, that’s the 1 st time I ever had a problem with a Shimano reel and that’s all I use

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Between my dad and I, we have 7 of these Sienna 500FD. They all work perfectly right out of the box. Best $30-class reels I’ve used.

jld
    Holmen

The local Gander Mt here has a few Sahara 500’s for $59.95. Probably a little overkill for an ice rod but it will go nicely with a new Bullwhip on the way. It will also double up in the summer nicely with a rod for panfish/crappie fishing.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

Can you explain exactly which parts you’re cleaning and putting the hot sauce on? I’ve had mixed results with doing this, not 100% I’m lubing all the neccessary parts. Also what do you clean with? Rubbing alcohol?

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

Can you explain exactly which parts you’re cleaning and putting the hot sauce on? I’ve had mixed results with doing this, not 100% I’m lubing all the necessary parts. Also what do you clean with? Rubbing alcohol?

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

I also bought a Sienna from Cabelas and it does the same thing. All my other Sienna’s no problem. I’m beginning to think maybe these big stores got a bunch of knock offs.

milemark_714

Can you explain exactly which parts you’re cleaning and putting the hot sauce on? I’ve had mixed results with doing this, not 100% I’m lubing all the necessary parts. Also what do you clean with? Rubbing alcohol?

Clean out all the original lube.Use denatured alcohol,or soak in warm water with dish detergent.I have an ultrasonic cleaner and use simple green.

Bearings get oil,gears and sliding parts get grease.Use a VERY little amount of oil on the roller anti reverse clutch.Hot sauce comes in oil and grease.Grease gets into the anti reverse clutch and it can stick or let loose.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

This particular problem had nothing to do with cold, they plain ass didn’t work take em back if you can manufacturers defec, my replacement works like it should

JoeMX1825
    MN

I just ordered one today from Dick’s Sporting goods, i’ll report back if its defective…

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Give Tica reels a try, I’ve never had one fail on me.

Tonka
    Minnesota

I think I have 5 or 6 siennas and they have all been great reels to me. Hoping shimano quality control hasn’t gone to heck, I just posted about some other reels maybe I’ll be making a switch.

Dylan Johnson
    Pequot Lakes Mn

I run two 500s and they are smooth. I am going to be purchasing another soon. Really great reel

turningleavesandice
    So. Iowa

I don’t know why the Pflueger reel gets such a bad rap.

Yo Yo just back from LOW
    Fishing was easy with a reel that could

Had some eyes that were 15 to 19
    But my 6925 was lean and mean

Babyed no no just to be clear
    It rode up front on the bombardier

So keep your shimanno and be happy
    But in my opinion the Pflueger ain’t crappy.. uh huh

Sorry I’m still on vacation…lol Actually the only trouble I had was with the Suffix Ice Magic line. That stuff would try to ice up in a heated shack and coil of the reel. My dead stick had P-Line on it and no problems like normal. I will be sticking with it from now on.

shady5

I don’t know why the Pflueger reel gets such a bad rap.

Yo Yo just back from LOW
    Fishing was easy with a reel that could

Had some eyes that were 15 to 19
    But my 6925 was lean and mean

Babyed no no just to be clear
    It rode up front on the bombardier

So keep your shimanno and be happy
    But in my opinion the Pflueger ain’t crappy.. uh huh

Sorry I’m still on vacation…lol Actually the only trouble I had was with the Suffix Ice Magic line. That stuff would try to ice up in a heated shack and coil of the reel. My dead stick had P-Line on it and no problems like normal. I will be sticking with it from now on.

You might want to consider installing one of those blow-in breathalyzers on your tablet/phone that won’t unlock it if you have your tilt on! Just kidding!

Like you, I’ve had good luck with Presidents and just picked up a Supreme XT and Patriarch XT that I’m excited to try this spring.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.