She's Gone

• mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

From the “Dogs of IDO”

https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Survivor.jpg

She was my fourth and I did her very few favors, here’s Food for Thought

For those of you who have lost dogs to cancer, especially large dogs, it was spleen cancer in this case. After finding out, my wife was talking to a close friend whose lost several golden retrievers… and the info that she’s reading now says you should:

“Consider removing the spleen during their spay”.

Carry ON!!!

Mark

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Sorry for your loss Mark. Been there and hate the feeling of losing the 4 legged member of the family. bawling Remember all the good times.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

So sorry, Mark. We lost our Dane to bone cancer at 6-years old. Still hurts, and it’s been 6 years.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Sorry for your loss Mark, that’s a hell of a rough day.

bigpike

Sorry to hear this Mark.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I am sorry for your loss Mark.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The Ido dog park on the sky got another good girl.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Oh so sorry to hear, Mark. Always hard to say goodbye to our furry friends. 💕

Attachments:
    1. 20200812_072347.jpg

Jensen

Sorry for your loss Mark.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Sorry for your loss Mark, I know the feeling and soon you will be able to focus on all the good times.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Sorry for your loss. A beautiful dog!!

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

So Sorry Mark….Our French Mastiff had bone cancer in her right back leg. 4 1/2 years old…Tough to take

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Thank you all for your support!!!

Really the true meaning for this post was finding out that pre-cancerous spleen removal is becoming something all new dog owners should be considering.

Considering Survivor (Viv) made it to 12 in June, she lived a great life with us. Her heritage gave me no great thoughts for a good to great hunting dog and I certainly didn’t have the time to spend with her in her formative years. But while grouse/woodcock hunting here in the Northwoods, she’d actually point almost everything, including 1 porky when she was young enough to be trying quills!!!

Again, you new puppy owners, ask your vet about potential spleen removal during your spay/nueter.

Mark

Brandon Mckean

i had this happen with a male springer, wife works as a vet tech and Dr opened him up and his spleen had big cancerous lesions all over it and one started to bleed. We almost put him down there but the Dr said lets give him a chance so we did. They sent in the spleen and it was some super aggressive form of cancer and less than 5% of dogs survive 1 year. Ward lived for around 390 days, he got another hunting season and we never regretted giving him a chance. I miss that big goofball.

Billy J

Sorry for your lost.

Paul D
    Roseville

My heart goes out to you and your family Mark! Pooches are an important part of the family, they trust that you will not hurt them, you will feed them, and provide plenty of hugs and kisses. In return they provide the humans with countless memories of curling up to sleep with you, or hanging out, just being a dog. Who could ask for anything more?

Sadly in January 2017 we had to say goodbye to our white lab, 8 yrs old to kidney failure, then in September 2017 we had to say goodbye to our black lab, 9 yrs old to liver failure. “The girls” as I called them, were so close to each other, I really think the black lab had her heart broken when we came back from the vet without her buddy. That is such a god awful feeling, and no the pain never ends.

And yes I still cry when I think about them.

Bless you Mark, and I hope you feel better.

jime

So sorry for your loss. It almost too desvisating to
    take. Thank you for the spleen tip.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.