early dam closure

• Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I haven’t read everything available to me at this point, but I know the dam was closed early for the NGPC this year due to our great weather. The question is, will it still be closed until the 20th, like usual, since they closed it early?

whitetips2

With the unseasonably mild weather field crews from the Nebraska Game & Parks Commission started collecting walleye eggs at Sherman this week, a little earlier than normal. We notified folks about that with a news release last week, http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/2012/03/walleye-egg-collections/ .

The dam at Sherman is closed every year April 1-20, sunset to sunrise and that is listed in the 2011-2012 Fishing Guide . That will still be in effect.

Believe me I have heard about this all week, so let me remind folks that the dam closure at Sherman is nice for us to get in and collect the walleye eggs we need to stock waters all across Nebraska, but the dam closure at Sherman was initially enacted years ago because of illegal activity. I will always tell you that there is no biological reason to close the dam during the walleye spawn on any reservoir in Nebraska, but in some cases there are social reasons for regulations.

Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    [email protected]
    Bauer’s Barbs and Backlashes

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Thanks for the clarification, Daryl.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.