Anybody fishing Lake sharp or oahe?

• redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

We’re headed up next weekend and were wondering if anybody knows a good spot around the Oahe dam area? Walleye, salmon, smallmouth, and northern? We’ve got the catfish down though, so no info. on them needed.

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Chris,

The Governor’s Cup walleye tourney is this weekend on Oahe so check out http://www.capjournal.com on Monday to see how the fishing was.

I grew up in Fort Pierre and my dad still lives there and he fishes quite a bit. He said that trolling plugs on Peoria Flats (Oahe) has been good lately. That area is best when there is a good wind blowing. I’ll talk to the old man Sunday and see how the fishing was and I’ll post here what he tells me. I’ll also be in town the weekend of the fourth for a school reunion and some fishing.

CR

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

Thanks that would be great.

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

I did get out a for a few hours on the 3rd and 4th on Sharpe off Farm Island and we caught a lot of fish both days. Pulling half crawlers on sand flats was the best method. Sunday we found most of our fish in the cleaner water while Monday we nailed them in the mudline. We caught lots of 15-18 inchers with a couple bigger than that. Even with the holiday weekend, we saw very few fishermen out on Sharpe. I guess everyone was up on Oahe.

The picture above is me and Gerrick “Mac” McComsey who went to high school with me and my brothers. (Sorry about the lack of scenery in the picture. Someone forgot to put the camera in the boat!) That man just plain knows how to find fish. We fished out of Mac’s Ranger 620T on Sunday and that is an outstanding fishing boat–all sorts of storage and room to fish. It has me convinced that my next boat is going to be a tiller.

redneck
    Rosemount

Nice fish! Oahe was a little busy on the 3rd but by standards around here it was almost barren. Were the fish on Sharpe footballs like the ones on Oahe? I couldn’t tell from your picture but I know the ones we got on Oahe all had huge bellies. Thanks for the information.

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Most of them were quite fat and full of smelt when we cleaned them.

CR

PaKarp

Hey Willeye, I break one more thing on “Christine”, I am going back to fishin’.

Pa karp (also Curt Rees)

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Pa,

If it doesn’t float, don’t buy it! Maybe you are better off “donating” that Oldsmobile to the river to add some new fishing structure.

#1 Son

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.