Servicing a Warrior with a Merc.

• Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I have an older, 1997, 2 stroke 75hp merc tiller. I have had it for 4 years on my V177 Warrior.

I got it from a guy who serviced it every year, however all I have ever done is change the lower unit oil yearly. I also never winterize my boat as I use it 12 months a year.

The motor runs great and I haven’t had a single issue but I would like to get it checked on just to make sure everything looks great. I don’t beat it up but I also don’t baby it. It was bought to be used…a lot ha!

I am in the South Metro, does anyone recommend a good merc dealer/mechanic? And what ballpark am I looking at paying for a standard check up?

ski junkie
    Grantsburg, Wisc

Supreme Marine in Minneapolis did a great job for me

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve heard some negative feedback on Supreme, but they’re all I used on my ’93 Merc, and I was happy with them.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ski junkie wrote:</div>

I’ve heard some negative feedback on Supreme, but they’re all I used on my ’93 Merc, and I was happy with them.

Also heard the negative feedback, but none directly involved and recommended by some trusty people IMO. Perhaps just a bad rap? Location doesn’t help any.

They are a week out right now anyways fwiw. Needed to have them go over an outboard for myself.

$90hr shop fee hurts a little. Can’t a guy just start replacing the components slowly? New starter here, new solenoid there, new water pump, new this that etc. Most mechanics I know say if ain’t broke, don’t fix it. At this point seems like just preventative stuff for you. 30yr old motor some stuff has to wear out eventually.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Sorry, its a 1997 merc, I miss wrote and have edited the post. But yes, a 20 year old motor and I want to stay ahead of the preventative maintenance things.

Also, is there a way to pull hours off it just so I know, similar to pulling codes off a car?

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

I had a bad experience with supreme. Basically, I was having an alarm go off repeatedly. They looked at it for two hours, couldn’t find anything wrong, said my connections to my battery seemed loose and tightened them a 1/4 turn. Final bill was $200. Got the boat back on the water and was still getting the alarm. I would recommend Hannay’s Marine in the NorthEast area.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Warrior boat center will take care of it waytogo

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Warrior boat center will take care of it waytogo

I bet they could, and am curious to go look at new warriors there once they get more of a stock, however I don’t want to scare them bringing a black motor over!

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Any marina should be able to work on that motor. I had a good experience with Hannay’s but wouldn’t hesitate for a second to visit SBC/WBC.

That said, there isn’t any reason to bring a motor that is running well to the shop. There’s nothing better for a carburated two cycle motor than running it often and hard, so it sounds like you’re taking great care of it! If it runs great throughout the RPM range and nothing looks or sounds loose/damaged/etc., the money you’d spend on a check up is better spent on sea foam to mix in your gas. waytogo

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

There’s nothing better for a carburated two cycle motor than running it often and hard

Put that way, you are right… Ill tell the wife that in order to avoid hefty boat bills I need to fish more often ) Thanks John

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.