September 22-24 Mille Lacs Smallmouth Trip

• boone
    Woodbury, MN

Is the southeast section of Mille Lacs generally considered the best for fall smallmouth fishing? I’ve got a trip planned with a buddy from Iowa from September 22-24 and I’m trying to find lodging. I think we might just pitch a tent as long as we have an electrical outlet to charge the trolling motor batteries.

I’ve never fished the S.E. section. In October of 2021 I made a few trips to the northwest section and fished the Garrison reef. The size of the smallmouth was very good and numbers were okay but not great.

I’m thinking of reserving a camping spot at Beachside resort in Wahkon. I would be nice to be right on the lake instead of one of the two nearby state campgrounds. I’m open to other suggestions. Thanks.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I prefer the SE/East area of the lake if I’m specifically targeting smallmouth. There seems to be more of the rockier habitat that they prefer. It can get rough if there’s a west or NW wind though, just be aware of that.

McQuoids has a nice hotel in Isle if you’re interested in that. Plenty of parking, access to outlets, etc. If you’re set on camping, Father Hennepin State Park might be an option. I am not sure about access to an outlet though.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

It can get rough if there’s a west or NW wind though, just be aware of that.

I’ve only got a 17 foot Lund Explorer so we’ll be hoping it’s not too windy for us to get out. If there’s a pretty strong NW wind and it’s too windy for us to get out on the SE area, how much calmer would it be up by the Garrison reef for example?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

If there’s a pretty strong NW wind and it’s too windy for us to get out on the SE area, how much calmer would it be up by the Garrison reef for example?

Substantially calmer. But you’d obviously have to drive halfway around the lake to get there.

I’ve only got an 18 foot aluminum boat too, so I find myself in that situation sometimes as well. The waves on that lake are no joke.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

My buddy is a very good golfer. I’ll tell him to bring his clubs in case we can’t get on the lake one day.

Ripjiggen

There is good smallmouth structure around the whole lake. If it’s blowing go that direction you will be able to get out. Unless it’s a crazy wind.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What rip said.
    If you plan on tent camping just stay at father Hennepin and launch daily where ever you need due to wind.
    I prefer certain areas over others but have to play the wind. I have had lots of success in lots of different areas. Some days east side , some times west side. All depends on what the wind allows. We always have a back up plan and another lake in the area picked out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.