Season 13 – Episode 10 – Ice Fishing Giant Crappies in Wisconsin

• Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Season 13 – Episode 10 is Live on YouTube!

On this week’s episode – Pat Mcsharry and Ty Sennet are ice fishing in Wisconsin for giant crappies. Join them as they break down how to locate and fish basins for these huge slabs.

To book a trip with Ty Sennet contact him through his website: http://www.tysennett.com/

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Awesome fish, my buddy text me during the show and asked why was there no other people in sight on the lake fishing? Didn’t even look like there was any signs of any one there previous. Private lake? Maybe just a small over looked lake? Jealous a little, looked like fun ! Good job finding those kind of bites and locations, always look forward to the next episode!

Jeff Telander

Great show, Pat! Those were some SLABS!! Just goes to show that if you put in the work, you can be greatly rewarded. applause

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Awesome fish, my buddy text me during the show and asked why was there no other people in sight on the lake fishing? Didn’t even look like there was any signs of any one there previous. Private lake? Maybe just a small over looked lake? Jealous a little, looked like fun ! Good job finding those kind of bites and locations, always look forward to the next episode!

The lake fished is public. As for lack of people nothing like a drizzly Monday to keep people at work or at home.

As for those crappie…I believe Y’UGE is the best way to describe them. Great job Pat and Ty. Makes taking a week off easier when I know the show is in great hands!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

WOW! That was a great show.
    James, you sure do have a winner with Mr. Mcsharry. He does a fantastic job.
    Couple questions –
    1) How many holes did they actually drill that day?
    2) Will the hat that Pat had on be available soon?
    3) Are you sure that episode wasn’t filmed on Red in the early 2000’s? whistling

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

So the timing on this seemed perfect with the weather etc. This seemed to be the outing of a lifetime for them, or at least for Pat. A lot of work to find these fish but also a lot of other things came together.

More than once they were holding the fish above the hole ready to release them and something fell out of their mouth. What was that, just ice?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

WOW! That was a great show.
    James, you sure do have a winner with Mr. Mcsharry. He does a fantastic job.
    Couple questions –
    2) Will the hat that Pat had on be available soon?
    3) Are you sure that episode wasn’t filmed on Red in the early 2000’s? whistling

I’ll let Pat answer #1.

#2 – yeah, we’ll have them online later this week. We didn’t place a huge order so supplies are a bit limited but if the demand is there we can always bring more in.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

More than once they were holding the fish above the hole ready to release them and something fell out of their mouth. What was that, just ice?

The conditions definitely lined up to make for a killer bite.

Just ice.

shady5

There’s beginning to be more talk around properly holding fish. I noticed that Pat would do occasional horizontal holds by the bottom jaw without supporting the fish. Is that appropriate for a fish being released?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

There’s beginning to be more talk around properly holding fish. I noticed that Pat would do occasional horizontal holds by the bottom jaw without supporting the fish. Is that appropriate for a fish being released?

I think you meant verticle hold?

I don’t think there’s any negative impacts on a crappie from a vertical jaw hold. But that’s just my opinion.

shady5

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>shady5 wrote:</div>

I think you meant verticle hold?

I don’t think there’s any negative impacts on a crappie from a vertical jaw hold. But that’s just my opinion.

No, I meant horizontal. Look at minute 15:15 of the show; they’re both holding their fish (double) horizontally. Ty’s supporting the tail, Pat’s not. Just wondering thoughts.

I do think Pat’s approach to bringing deep fish up slow is good.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

No, I meant horizontal. Look at minute 15:15 of the show; they’re both holding their fish (double) horizontally. Ty’s supporting the tail, Pat’s not. Just wondering thoughts.

Ah, gotcha. I’ve never seen or felt a crappie hurt (jaw, joint or tissue damage) in that manner. I guess it’s something to think about.

orve4

Maybe we could talk Pat into a northern spearing show that would be new for Indepth outdoor. Love the shows guys keep up the good work.

Matthew Brabec

James, would love to see a camera set up away from the action that would show a short time condensed segment of all the holes those guys drilled all day and all the wandering around and work they did!

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Very good show,very nice crappie,and Pat did a great job of hosting.

basseyes

Thought both Pat and Ty did a good job of reeling fish in slow. Appreciated that and Pat making mention of it fishing deeper. Especially when releasing all fish.

Good show and that was a lot of nice crappies top side.

Anyone have any clue what kind of gloves Ty was using?

shockers
    Rochester

That was an amazing show! What a blast.

I was hoping you’d measure a couple of those just to see how long they were. But wow. What a slab fest.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I was hoping you’d measure a couple of those just to see how long they were. But wow. What a slab fest.

I caught a couple legitimate 13″ crappies last weekend with mostly 10-11″ fish. Comparatively speaking, there were a lot of fish that looked to easily be larger…13-14″ and a couple mixed in that had to be 15″+ for sure. Great show. Awesome fishery.

Jeff Telander

One thing I noticed was a significant lack of flag poles. How would you suggest locating those suspended basin cruisers without a strobe/becon marking the spot?

Jeff Telander

Sorry. Had to. It just looked so peaceful out there. I wish I could find that scenario closer to home! Again, great show.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Beautiful color on those sows. At the beginning Pat looked a little uncomfortable with another man reaching into his hole. He got used to it by the end. waytogo

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

A guy could lose a lot of sleep dreaming of catching fish like that. I always enjoy the shows…. this was another great one for sure!

curleytail

What a show. I wanted it to be longer to keep seeing those big slabs come topside. I live in Hayward and wish I knew exactly where they were. I have some ideas but I’m guessing. I have a couple secret spots where I’ve caught crappies up to 16 inches but I don’t think they were around those areas, or even on those lakes. The number of BIG fish was impressive. Sounds like a lot of work was put into making that show happen. Good work guys.

Tucker

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m gonna guess hayward is going to be flooded with guys looking for this body of water. Secret is that it was never hayward in the first place

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I would say somewhere around 200 holes. We had two augers going a lot of the time and we went through 1.5 batteries on each auger.

Brent Bakke
    Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta Canada

Watching your show again is pure enjoyment and class, I will not disrespect any other outdoors company posting videos by name but watching a video that has swearing, cigarette packages, whiskey bottles, cases of beer/cans in the tent or ice trailer as part of the show shows no respect for other outdoor production companies and the image they are trying to set for all anglers. Now don’t get me wrong there is nothing wrong with doing any of that I just don’t believe it should be part of your video/show/promo just another reason to watch IDO!! FYI Pat did an awesome job hosting as well.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

It isn’t about where, it is about how. You can feed a man fish or teach him to fish. Ido does a good job teaching. Start applying to your lakes/Rivers guys and you’ll be more excited about your catch than you would if someone simply put you on a bite.

Ask me where I was fishing and I’ll look turn the other direction. Ask me how I was fishing and I’ll bend your ear.

dexknows
    Blackduck, MN / Minneapolis, MN

A couple of thoughts on the show….

1) Pat does a great job hosting anytime James is out. This one was great, and the sturgeon episode last season was one of my favorite IDO shows ever.

2) I like the idea of the time-lapse from afar just documenting the hole-drilling and movement that went into catching all those slabs!

Great show, as always!

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>shockers wrote:</div>

I caught a couple legitimate 13″ <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>crappies last weekend with mostly 10-11″ fish. Comparatively speaking, there were a lot of fish that looked to easily be larger…13-14″ and a couple mixed in that had to be 15″+ for sure. Great show. Awesome fishery.

I’ve actually caught 13-14″ crappies with James on film before and was personally surprised at how much smaller they looked on film… I would say that there were a lot of 15″+ crappies in this show. This show ranks up at the top of all time crappies bites that I’ve ever seen on film or in person!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.