Searchin for panfish

• Carter Paulson

Still kinda trying to figure some things out as far as panfish fishing goes. When you guys “pop holes” and search for fish, are you popping holes til you mark fish when you pop holes or are you fishing the holes?

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

I always try to get a line in the water at every hole I drill. If you dont mark fish right away try jigging a bit higher up in the water column to get their attention. When nothing happens for a few minutes keep moving onto the next hole until you find the school.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

If you dont mark fish right away try jigging a bit higher up in the water column to get their attention.

I like to keep a second rod rigged with a small Swedish Pimple. If you don’t see fish in a hole (but you know they’re in the area) work the spoon fairly aggressively for a couple minutes a few feet off the bottom. The sound/flash will often draw them into the general area. If they come into view but don’t hit the spoon, send a smaller jig down the hole. You’ll also get bonus crappie and perch with the spoon too.

tswoboda

are you fishing the holes?

Basin… no
    Weeds… usually
    In between… sometimes

Also depends a lot on how well I know the lake.

curleytail

I agree – it depends. In shallow water yes, I fish the holes first. In 8 or 10 feet of water the transducer cone is pretty small and doesn’t show much.

There’s a lake that I often fish for suspended crappies. They are usually 20-30 feet down over 40-50 feet of water. They often school. Pretty common for me to just walk around with my electronics looking for the school before I fish on that lake.

I tend to fish most every hole for at least a minute or two on lakes I’m less familiar with, hoping to call nearby fish in even if they don’t show up right away.

lundojam

Yeah, depends on the depth. Over deeper water I look and shallower I try it. In shallower water your cone angle is such that you are not “seeing” as much, so you don’t get as good an idea of what is down there unless you give it a few jigs.

Carter Paulson

Well then I guess my next question is what has been your most lights out crappie/bluegill lure? If all else fails what is that you turn to?

Dave Schultz

Fishing a SW Metro lake on 1/18…had about 40 holes drilled for 3 guys. Electronics in the hole, fish on the screen, catch 1-2 gills or crappies, fish scatter, move to next hole, rinse and repeat.

The fish were a bit finicky so a small horizontal jig with a wax worm was the ticket. Bright colors when the sun came up.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

Red 4mm Fiskas tungsten jig with 2-3 spikes or a Panfish Plastics Chigger Fry.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

X1,000 on starting with a spoon than a small jig. Only 5-10 min tops.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.