Northeast SD Fishing

• burbob
    Hastings,MN

5 of us headed into the snowstorm at 2:30 Friday morning for a 7 hour white knuckle ride to Northeast South Dakota. At least my brother Sauger was white knuckle I was sleeping .

Day 1 was a bust, we had a tough time getting around on the big lakes because of the massive amount of wet snow that fell Thursday afternoon and Friday morning. Friday also included changing a flat tire on the ice and finding a rather soft spot that Sauger insisted we get stuck in. Then he pulled the old “I cant get out, you shovel” trick.

Saturday we decided to stay off the big lakes and do some slough fishing. We found several small perch and a few for the pan through the morning. At about 2:30 I caught our first walleye and we had our daily limit of 17 – 21 inch walleyes within 2 hours. We also released several nice fish before leaving to find an evening crappie bite. We found a few crappies and a few more walleyes Saturday night but again the deep snow really made it hard to get around. Sunday we stopped and smacked a few more walleyes and hit the road.

Friday was tough but in all a great trip with no shortage of comic relief.

Pictures: the group with a limit, Sauger with a nice eye, me with one for the pan, Wilson with his first ever limit of waleyes, and sauger checking for slush holes.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.