Summer Crank bite in full swing

• Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

With Water temps in the mid 60s on some bodies of water, fish are starting to be somewhat reliable. Pitching cranks and plastic is still a great option but with a full boat over the last weekend we elected to pull cranks for awhile. We fished a shallow basin roughly 6-8 feet of water with largely the same tactic fellow Staffer Joel Nelson has been highlighting down on Pepin. Craw colored #5 shad raps as well as hot steel were good producers on suffix trailed back about 100 feet on the counter. 20lb floro leaders did a good job on keeping the pike off the line. We found a long tapering shoreline with just a few green weeds sprouting up and we were in business. Between my buddy Chris, Randy, and there two sons we had a couple great days doing this on two different bodies of water. Body of water #1 yielded roughly 60 fish in 6 hours with most being 14-17 inches. Body of water #2 produced 20 fish in about 4 hours with average size being 16-to 19 with a few kicker low 20s in the mix. Two nine year olds had a blast reeling in fish after fish as the Dads and I cleared lines, netted and took off fish and had some laughs. The crankbait bite around here should only get better as the weather warms and a good weedline develops on some lakes.

– Shore bite is still going strong on a few of my haunts as well, hope you can all make a point to get out on the lake – QB

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Great report QB! Sure is nice when you can get those kids on some fish.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Great Report, and Great day on the water Quintin,
    the young men will never forget it, nor anyone.
    Jack

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.