Great post spawn tactic for the dakotas

• Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

With the lack of traditional structure in the dakotas and most lakes having a basin like structure just wanted to shed the light on a great postspawn tactic for the upcoming days and weeks.

Trolling planer boards:

Contrary to poplular belief many of the lakes in the dakotas are actually very clean despite the runoff that these lakes get. I like to use planer boards all the way from april through september to get my baits back and away from the boat to target post spawn fish. I like to start experimenting in shallower depths running F7s and F9s as well as salmo hornets. This combines a more aggressive bait with the more subtle wobble of the floating rapala. I let the fish tell me what they want and go from there. If you have any moving water or creeks coming into the lakes I like to start around this area to target fish that have just got done spawning. Trolling speeds of 1.5 mph seem to work at this time of year. Just a quick tid bit of information for all you people heading out to get at some fish in the next couple weeks.

-Quintin

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.