Waiting out Cold-front walleyes.

• Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

Monday night will at work I got a txt from a friend seeing if I wanted to do some fishing. With the boat having some problems we decided we would just shore fish and the plan was to leave my place around 230 the following day. After catching some zzz’s after working the night shift we were on our way up to the fishing grounds. Weather was cool with air temps around the low 40s with winds out of the NE at around 10-15mph. We started throwing jigs and plastics to know avail and then switched over to cranks. We picked up a few smaller fish on some husky jerks as well as rattle traps. We had been there for a few hours and thought perhaps the bite was over. I made the call to stay figuring we had made the drive we might as well stay till dark. The last 40 minutes of light proves to be worth it. We switched back to 1/4 oz jigs and plastics to put 10 more nice fish in the net with a couple dandies to boot. This cold front must of had people sitting in front of the TV because we had this lake all to ourselves. In fishing the last few days with cold temps most fish are waiting until that golden hour to feed. Don’t be afraid to wait it out till dark, might just be that fish of the year. Buddy Mason hooked up with a dandy 28 as daylight was fading, hope you can all get out and get after some fish. Have fun and be safe – Quintin

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Nice fish! Looks cold but worth it!

flagup
    South Dakota

Looks like you’ve been having some good luck Quintin, great looking fish. Like my grandpa always used to say “You can’t catch’em on the couch!”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.