Great way to wrap up Spring Break in the Dakotas

• Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

Well with spring break coming to an end and the temps climbing into the 50s why not get out on the ice. I assembled a crew and had some friends from MN coming out so we decided to meet at the lake around 7 and go from there. We started out at spot number 1 and no dice, few takers. We split up from there when my buddy called me on the cell “Get over here the screen is lit up like a christmas tree. When we got to spot number 2 it was game on, we had 10 guys swinging for the fence constantly. When it was all said and done about 30-40 minutes later we had 120 jumbos laying on the ice and were already starting to get a heck of a sunburn. Well to talk tactics a bit we were all fishing with smaller jigs with spikes but it seemed at times no fish would rise out of the school. I switched over to a chubby darter and several of the guys put on buckshot spoons. It seemed the larger lures were the ticket to tick these fish off into biting. That night we split up onto some other lakes, me and my roomate hit a lake for some eyes we got some smaller ones for the table and one dandy at 24 that we snapped a picture of and released. Hope you can all make it out before she all melts. We used 4wheelers to get around, accesses were getting slightly soupy.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Is that a Jumbo Dog on the gaff ?

Multi utility tool !!

Great job on the ice guys !!

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

Well yea when your in college and the only thing you pack for the day is your fishing equipment and bait you end up going to local grocery store and buying cheapest food they got. Then you realize you have no way of cooking it….innovation is born.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

Quote:

Well yea when your in college and the only thing you pack for the day is your fishing equipment and bait you end up going to local grocery store and buying cheapest food they got. Then you realize you have no way of cooking it….innovation is born.

Heater? Lantern? If I was hungry enough I would had found someway to get the dogs cooked
    Looks like a good time.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Good stuff Quintin. You chasing the snows and blues yet?

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

We got snows all over, but i personally chase birds from mid august to december so as long as there is ice to get out on I will be doing that and once it melts perhaps spend some time over in Red wing or fishing open water. I personally dont have the gear to hunt snows and am not a huge fan of jumping them. If i get the invite from some buddies or find time to do some scouting i may get out.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Nicely done, Quintin! Love the pic with the dog in it! I somewhat remember college. Most of our intake was liquid lunch. We were never smart enough to think of hotdogs on a hook.

I hope to see some open water reports from you in the spring. Do you spend any time on Francis Case or the other reservoirs?

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

I have fished LFC as well as below pickstown dam as well. It is about 3 hours to these and the glacial lakes are only about 1.5 hours so I end up there most of the time. Oahe I have fished hard water and it can be fantastic. Lots of big fish in the river all the way from Pollock down to Yankton. I might sneak out there in 2 weeks or so just because we are loosing ice fast here. Gonna try to eek out a couple more days on hard water.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.