Quick outing before the storm came.

• Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

With the weather coming in and a mass load of snow forcasted as well as leaving for canada on the 2nd I figured i better get out on some fish before leaving the dakotas for the better part of a week hit up a small lake south of watertown on the way to work and was not dissapointed. Fished what was left of some shallow weeds (mind you these weeds were layed down and brown) in about 8 fow with tiny tungsten jigs and a few maggots. Some holes were better than others and the holes hugging tight to the weeds seemed to be the best producers. These fish were moving through in small pods and it seemed if you were able to lift the lure up a few feet the bigger ones would chase the bait. We caught a few nice ones which we took some pictures of and let go and kept a few smaller ones for the pan. Always good to remember to let these big sunfish go as they are the stock for the future. All fish pictured were released. Looking forward to Canada and progressing into the late ice period. Hope after this system moves through you can all make it out.

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

Nice Sunnies! Isn’t it amazing how you can squeeze a few minutes out of the day to get the important things done!?! Good luck in Canada.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Now there’s a species that just doesn’t get the press when you’re talking SD fishing like the perch and walleye. Some of the biggest gills I’ve ever seen have come from those prairie lakes. Thanks for sharing.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Very nice.

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

Yes SD does have some larger bluegill that are few and far between. my hand spans 10 inches and the one on the right went just a tidge longer than that probably putting him in flirting with that magical 1 lb mark. Who knows though, hopefully he goes back lays down some good genes and maybe myself or someone else will catch him when he has another year under his belt

flagup
    South Dakota

Nice Gills QB! Best of luck to you boys grindin this week in Canada, send me a picture or two!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.