Day trip to Day county

• Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

This past sunday I had the opportunity to hit up the Day Co area of South Dakota. When it comes to this area the opportunities are so plentiful that one can chase big panfish, seet out walleyes or chase some flags. Anyway we started the morning chasing some of the elusive large crappies that this area is known for. On our second spot we ran into some aggressive schools of these fish, which were inhaling smaller jigging spoons tipped with maggots. This lake has some deeper basins but we were targeting aggressive fish in 16-17 fow. We caught close to 30 of these fish with many being from 11.5 up to right near 14 inches. We kept a few fish and switched up our tactics to target some of the bigger walleyes that this lake is known for. We were moving and drilling holes with aggresive blade style baits. When I heard Nick yell get over here I knew he had a nice one. I helped him land the fish and she was a beauty in that upper 20 inch region. After a quick picture we put her back to make some little ones. With class the next day we had to get back and get on some homework. Hope you can all get out and chase some fish before the ice melts – Quintin

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I love fishing out that way. Thanks a ton for the report. How’s the ice thickness and condition?

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

WOW QB! Nice pictures and report. Welcome to the best site on the ‘Net!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Nice looking fish.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Welcome to In-DepthOutdoors Quintin!!!

Thanks for the report, looks like you guys had a blast!!!

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

We are still seeing up in that region anywhere from 15 inches up to the high 20s as one spot we measured on another lake was at 28 inches. It will get interesting if we get all this snow they are talking about, just when we got the trucks on the ice, we will have to start trailering the wheelers and sleds again.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Nice fish Quintin! My cousin did well on Thompson last weekend with some jumbo perch, a nice eater eye and a decent crappie. Hope your ice remains solid!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Healthy looking fish right there!

Welcome to IDO.

-J.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Nice fish bud!

Enjoy your ice while you can. I’m hooking the boat to the truck later today.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Welcome to IDO Quintin and thanks for the report! It looks like you had the lake all to yourself!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Nice job out there… That area deserves a lot more respect then most give it.. It just seems a million miles away… but it’s not !!!

Great Job buddy and welcome to IDO

corey_waller
    hastings mn

great report and some nice fish too!!! nice job welcome to IDO

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Awesome post QB Beautiful walleye and that twilight-slab pic is the cream of the crop right there

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Beautiful fish Quintin!

Thanks for the report.

I’m not familiar with the Day county area at all. Never heard of it actually. What part of South Dakota is it located?

Thanks!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.