South Dakota trip

• hawkeye27

Thinking bout making a trip in 2 weeks out to waubay area! Are there permanents on the lake yet? How much ice is there? Is there a lot of snow? How is the perch and walleye fishing?

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I was out a week ago and we found 10-13 inches of ice on most lakes in the Waubay area. Ice is different on a lot of the lakes so check as you go, or drill as you go. Lots of permanent homes were on lakes and I have heard of some folks driving on this weekend, I personally wouldn’t drive on (not enough ice to drive for me) zero snow on the lake makes for pulling a portable or driving a wheeler around lake very easy.
    Fishing has been good also on lakes in the Waubay area, Bitter and Waubay itself.

reddog

A truck went thru on Poinsett over the weekend. I have heard that Bitters ice thickness is very inconsistent. The bites have been good though.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

just got back from Bitter, the word is out and there are a ton of people fishing on Bitter righ now. We drove a wheeler pulling 3 sleds, then a 1/2 ton truck for the people. Closer to shore we had 14 1/2 inches, out a ways we were at 12 1/2 inches. There were pods of perch going from shallow to deep, and back again. About 4pm we would go shallow to about 8-10 FOW and land a couple nice eyes, and the larger perch would also come shallow. My buddy pictured here fought something huge for 5 plus minutes before a breakoff, but here’s a tip up 24″ fatty. There was about 1 inch of snow all over, I think they got more this AM.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.