Scratching The Itch

• Alex W
    Bangor, WI

Finally was able to get out on the ice this weekend although it took 7 hours and 700+ miles behind the wheel to do so. Spent the weekend on Upper Red Lake for the first time and it did not disappoint. We started out the morning hours largely without a bite about 1/2 mile offshore. The water seemed dirty here so we decided to run and gun and keep walking out and punching holes. Eventually we made it roughly a mile out and found what seemed to be some pretty clean water and it proved to pay off. We both were able to catch our 3 fish limit and caught a bunch of bonus fish as well. Big fish of the day was a 23″ beauty caught on the dead stick. The dead stick out-produced jigging by a pretty wide margin. The fish seemed to be in a negative mood for the most part. The few aggressive fish we caught jigging absolutely choked the bait. The best baits jigging were ripping raps in perch color and an orange tingler spoon with a minnow head. We probably caught 20-25 between the 2 of us over the course of the day so all in all I’d say it was a success. If you are looking to get out and don’t mind the windshield time I’d suggest heading north. There was about 5-7″ of ice everywhere we went and wheelers and sleds were all over the ice. The ice was in great shape we very little slush or puddles, although I don’t know how it’s faired the last few days. I just wish this place was closer!

Attachments:
    1. RedLake5.jpg

2. RedLake1.jpg

3. RedLake2.jpg

4. RedLake4.jpg

5. RedLake3.jpg

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Sounds fun. Thanks for putting up a report. I can’t wait to get up there. Which access do you use?

Alex W
    Bangor, WI

We went out of Hillmans in Waskish

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Well done Alex !!
    Ice season sure is later this year than last ….
    Stay in touch and we’ll see you on the ice !!

Alex W
    Bangor, WI

Well done Alex !!
    Ice season sure is later this year than last ….
    Stay in touch and we’ll see you on the ice !!

You’ve got that right! It will come and I will be ready!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.