Scout Lake Resort

• Wesley Trebesch

Sitting here dreaming of August on Lac Seul. Just booked our trip to Scout Lake Resort for August in the hopes that the border opens by then. We shall see if that actually happens or not but in the meantime I’d like to keep dreaming sleeping

This would be our first trip to Scout Lake Resort and was just curious if anyone has been there before. We’ve stayed farther north than that the last 5-6 years. We’ve often made the run to fish around McKenzie and were trying to cut down that distance a bit and looking forward to possibly being able to explore some spots we haven’t ventured to before.

dentedboatguy

Excellent walleye fishing in the Bay of Islands, fish any rocky point, esp. if wind blowing. Humps are usually good and use your electronics to find those. The walleye fishing Lac Seul is usually not hard. Usually by August the walleyes will be deeper but don’t be afraid to try shallow, like 4-6 feet shallow when the wind is blowing into the shallows. The water is stained so the eyes may be shallow. You can run to McKenzie but usually don’t need to go that far. We did a couple of times for a change of pace but I didn’t think the walleye fishing was any better. Be prepared for a MNR check usually one time a week as the officer will wait in the channel leading into the Bay of Islands which funnels boaters from Scout Lake, Scout Bay, and Rat Bay. Officer was always polite, just have your ducks in a row and be prepared. Unless it has changed the dock system at Scout Lake Lodge has water 14 feet deep at the outer edge and the slip bobber fishing can be fantastic in the evening. My young sons each caught a 28 inch eyes with leech under the slip bobber. We were doing this in mid July so it may be tougher by August. I know you may not believe me but resist the temptations to run 20-30 miles down the lake

Wesley Trebesch

Of course the day I post this they push the potential border opening back (again). bawling

Thanks for the info, dentedboatguy. What is that run like to get out to Bay of Islands? How long does it take from Scout Lake Resort? We have a couple spots we really like in McKenzie so I’m sure we’d try to get there at least one day, weather permitting. But it’s nice to know we wouldn’t have to run crazy far to catch fish, the long runs are what we are looking to get away from if possible. We’ve had at least one run-in with the MNR while fishing in McKenzie that I can remember. We don’t mess around up there, but good to know. You definitely have me prepared to bring a slip bobber rig if we get to go. I think it was your post on WC about the dock fishing there when I was trying to read up on Scout. grin

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I believe the current restriction runs till June 22nd. They have been extending it a month at a time so far. The current word is they are not likely to open anything up on the 22nd. This means they will probably extend it to at least July 22nd. Then possibly Aug. 22nd. That gives you several resets depending on your trip date in Aug. It sounds like Canada is nowhere close to thinking about opening up travel for things like fishing trips. We normally take a fall trip around mid Sept. That gives us at least 3 resets before then to see if they decide to change their mind. At this point I’d say a Sept. opening is 50/50 at the best. This whole Covid poop is hurting a lot of economies and business in both the US and Canada for sure.

Wesley Trebesch

The news yesterday was all saying they are close to announcing that the borders will stay closed to non-essential travel until July. It just hasn’t been formally announced yet I don’t think.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.